Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 1 month ago

do i have to wait after 3 years of acting lessons? ?

do i have to wait for me to finish my 3 years of acting classes to get an agent or can i get an agent after a year and try get into lessons but also do the rest of my acting classes during that

Update:

for people asking i live in uk and no not 5-7 years because acting school only lasts for 3 

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It is possible, yes, but only happens to very few people.  Don't expect to get an agent early - some don't get one even when they graduate.  Concentrate on your studies and make the most of your time there and take advantage of the contacts you might make with people in the business.  Work is never guaranteed.

• 1 month ago

You get an agent once you have demonstrated that you have the talent, training, experience and temperament to book professional, paying jobs.  It’s not like you’re guaranteed an agent after some set number of years of training.

Legitimate agents are paid a percentage of what an actor makes.  (Never pay an agent up front.). Which means you can’t just hire an agent, it’s more like they choose you.  And since they only make money if an actor books a professional paying job, they are very picky about who they take on as clients.  And they can be picky because there are a lot more people wanting to be actors then there are roles.  It is show business.  People are in it to make money, not make your dreams come true.

The best way to get an agent it through networking.  If you can impress a respected instructor or some other industry professional, they may be willing to refer you to an agent.  That’s why quality classes are helpful - they are one way to start to network in addition to improving your skills. 

But getting an agent is just one part of attempting a professional.  Agents submit you for jobs and negotiate contracts but they do not run your career.  That’s up to you.  You need to understand things like the casting process, legal issues (contracts, unions, taxes); marketing (head shot, resume, show reel, website, social media), networking and the like.  Attempting a professional acting career is like starting and running a business where you are the product being marketed and sold.

So make sure you understand the business end of the industry.  Scams and rip offs prey on people who mistakenly think people are just “discovered” and given an acting career.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Edit: You misunderstood. The school is 3 years. But it doesn't end there. No agent is going to even consider you just based on 3 years of training, let alone after 1 year. *In addition* to those 3 years, you also need to continue getting more training and experience, which takes a few more years. Overall, it takes about a decade to build a resume that will get agents to consider you. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like you're in one of those schools agents want to see in your resume. In the UK, the school MUST be specifically one of the top ones. Those schools are very hard and expensive to get into. Only about a dozen out of thousands who apply every year get accepted. If you haven't been acting, singing, and dancing since you were a kid, and if you're not talented at all three, your chances of getting accepted are extremely slim to none. That's the kind of people who go to those schools. And if you're over 30, your chances are even smaller. Like I said, it's even harder to get an agent and become a professional working actor in the UK.

To add to what Cogito said, simply put, you don't wait to get an agent and it's not going to take a year. That's unrealistic. That's not how it works.

You *work*, hard, for about 5-7 years, building a resume strong enough to impress potential agents. Agents are very selective as it is. They make money only if and when their clients book a job. No agent is going to be impressed by 3 years of some acting classes. You need to keep in mind that this is show BUSINESS. No one's in this to make your dreams come true, they're in this to make money. Professional productions invest tons and they need to know it's in the hands of people who know what they're doing. They trust agents to send their way only talented, HIGHLY-experienced and HIGHLY-trained people with a resume to back it all up.

So during this time you work on that resume of yours: You get yet more training (in the form masterclasses and workshops and such) and low-level experience (in the form of indie and student films as well as community theater productions). You constantly land leading roles. You win awards. You also take vocal and dance lessons and master other special skills to give your resume a boost (like horseback riding, martial arts, acrobatics, mime, dialects, etc.). THAT'S the kind of resume legit agents are looking for. No legit agent is even going to consider you before that.

Right now there's an epidemic going on, so you can't really do anything serious. But generally speaking, you can start auditioning for local small stuff at any time. Anything that doesn't require an agent. Also produce your own, like shorts or plays. You don't need to wait to finish 3 years of acting school. Don't forget that once you finish school, you still have to continue working on getting yet more training and experience, so don't waste time. If you're in the US and you're aiming more for national TV and movies, you'll need to move to LA and network to make connections while you continue getting training and experience until someone you've worked with and impressed (like a producer, a director, an acting teacher or even a fellow actor) will be willing to refer you to an agent. That's how you usually get one. Other ways (like cold-querying with your headshots and resume or getting spotted at a showcase) rarely happen. So as soon as the world is back to normal, start working. Don't wait. Granted, it'd be harder to land roles especially in theater this early on, but it couldn't hurt to try. Also sign up to other forms of training like what I mentioned above. In addition, start researching the business side. You'll need to know how to navigate the industry and about the realities of it. Backstage . com would be a good place to start. Start literally now.

That's assuming you're already going to a top-quality acting school (where well-known and respected professionals teach and successful people graduated from, not just any acting classes). If it's not one of those, then you'll need to apply to one of those. I'm going to assume it's not because the above is the kind of stuff they teach you there. You wouldn't be here asking that question if it were. So look into that now.

That's the way it works in the US. In the UK it's pretty much like that but even harder. I don't know about other counties, but I'm convinced it's not that simple either. I think your first step should be to adopt a more realistic approach. Again, professional productions can't take the risk on someone with a weak resume under their belt, so no agent is going to waste their time (and reputation) either.

Start working. Because no one's going to just hand you an acting career for checking one unimpressive box, not even an agent. It's all on you.

Good luck!

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You don't say which country you live in, but basically, genuine agents are only interested in fully trained (and that means to degree standard) actors with a fantastic resume/CV showing many years of great experience on stage, in short films, student films and indie films.  No real agent is going to be interested in a half-trained kid, I'm afraid.  And if you mean by 'classes' of attending for an hour or two a week after school or at weekends, that's not nearly enough.

Tell us what country you live in and we might be able to help further.

EDIT

In the UK, 'classes' are just the start.  You'd need to get a place at a top drama school for a full-time three-year course after your A Levels.  Agents simply aren't interested unless you've graduated from one of them.  And as each drama school gets thousands of applicants but has only about 24 places each year, that's never going to be easy!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.