Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 month ago

Were supermarkets in the UK banned from selling non-essential items during the first lockdown during Spring?

A supermarket in Wales cordoned off the sanitary department as non essential. 

• Brian

I do not remember supermarkets being asked to not sell any products in March. 

I suppose the real question is how many small businesses that were ordered to cease trading lost sales because people could get equivalent items from their local  Asda or Tesco superstore?

You might be looking for a new phone, for example, but the phone stores are closed so you buy from the supermarket. It may be 2 or more years before you need another phone, so your local store has lost out. The same argument is true of clothes or electrical goods etc.

No. Sainsbury's did very well out of click and collect for their Argos operation at stores. The Welsh Trot has let power go to his head - far from protecting small shops forced to close he will be handing a huge chunk of trade to Amazon etc. There was no restriction on DIY shops and Builders Merchants, either although many chose to close. 

No, it is ridiculous. It is just another unnecessary imposition on people liberties. It is getting very alarming.

unwashed welsh gammon chav savages infecting civilised and refined england with their filth

what's non-essential?  One man's fags and booze is another man's ladies knickers or hosiery.  I mean some of those are harmless and normal ways to relax after a weeks hard work, but what about cancer?

I only remember it in a farmers store, where the police asked me what I was doing buying a garden item. What would be more useful would be only allowing one adult member of the family to go into the supermarket at the same time; Waitrose enforced that back then.  The socialist peoples republic of Wales would seem to have gone crazy this time around.

No but I do remember an over-zealous police force telling us not to buy anything non-essential causing concerns that police officers would be in supermarkets checking items in trolleys or patrolling non-essential isles but they quickly clarified that the rules permitted essential shopping trips only and so we should be sure to police ourselves in that regards.

I don't think so.