Anonymous

Why is there generally such a massive intelligence gap between someone with only a high school degree and someone with a PhD?

It's not just a slight difference in intelligence between someone of these 2 different backgrounds, but quite honestly, massive. It's like interacting with 2 different species of humans. You can really see the gears turning in someone's mind who has a PhD in a complex quantitative field, compared to the simple mind of someone with just a HS diploma who worked as a car mechanic or truck driver his whole life

Some will say this is a stereotype, but you are not the only one who noticed this pattern. I think that more intelligent are inclined to pursue such activities that make use of their intelligence, such as obtaining a PhD, while less intelligent find satisfaction in activities that are less intellectually demanding, such as manual work.

• drip

Why, because everyone is different.   Not everyone can do everything. Some people are artist , which other cant draw a stick figure,

My husband is very intelligent. But can do some stupid things. No common sense. I wouldn’t trust him to put oil in our car.  Some people are intelligent, but not academic.  Some people can grasp ideas, concepts very easily.   Some people are much better at using the knowledge they have to solve or understand other things.Everyone has different abilities. 

• John

Your statement is incorrect, as its based on stereotypes.  You are mistaking one indicator of intelligence (academic ability) for pure intelligence.  There is no correlation between academic ability, and other important measures of intelligence.  They are independent of each other. Those other measures include good judgment, problem solving ability, ability to reason, common sense, and other factors.

No, there is NOT such an intelligence gap. 

• Expat

Well, it’s a combination of intellect and motivation. The desire to study and learn is usually very different between them. I can say from personal experience that completing a doctorate is something that can only be accomplished if a person really wants to do it; it’s not anything you do halfheartedly or say, “and before I realized it, I was done.” It’s just not like completing a Bachelor’s or Master’s and certainly not like high school.