Do I have a muscle car?

I own a 2014 Chrysler 300 SRT8. I understand that “muscle cars” are cars that have big displacement V-8s, big tires, chrome wheels, dual exhuast, racing stripes or flames, blowers, and speed, etc. my car has pretty much all of these so does it identify as a muscle car or not exactly. I never understood the true meaning of a “muscle car”.

Favorite Answer

The definition of muscle car is subjective and frequently debated. Muscle cars often have many of the following characteristics:

A large V8 engine in the most powerful configuration offered for a particular model

Rear-wheel drive

Being manufactured in the United States in the 1960s or early 1970s (the specific year range of 1964–1973 is sometimes used)

A relatively lightweight two-door body (opinions vary as to whether high-performance full-size cars, compacts, and pony cars qualify as muscle cars, as it is sometimes claimed that only intermediate cars can be considered muscle cars)

An affordable price

Being designed for straight-line drag racing, while remaining street legal.

High-power pony cars are sometimes considered muscle cars, however personal luxury cars are often too expensive to be considered muscle cars. Sports cars and sports sedans are not usually considered muscle cars, since they are generally associated with circuit racing rather than drag racing. Muscle cars are an extension of the hot rodding philosophy of taking a small car and putting a large-displacement engine in it, for the purpose of increased straight-line speed

Racing stripes or flames?? 

Oh my.... 

I guess your car would be a modern muscle car. 

True muscle cars were produced before you were born. 

Maybe before your parents were born.

The SRT8 has 700 HP. That's more than enough. A Muscle Car refers to big block cars of the late 60's & early 70's. Yes, dual exhaust. Most muscle cars had around 300 HP.

Muscle car is a left over term from the 60s-70s when the big three were in a horsepower war. Since dedicated high output engines were not in production at the beginning of this war  the next best thing was to put large displacement heavy truck engines in cars (muscle) and strip them down for weight. your 300 is more of, lets put a lot of modern horsepower in a sedan type of thing. Your cars engine in a small dumptruck would be nothing more than a boat anchor after a few months.

• James

I would say that's more of a luxury car. Luxury cars are loaded with features that make them heavier and a muscle car is loaded with features that make them faster