Seth asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

How can I learn to be a quiet person?

I talk a lot and say a lot of stupid stuff. I always act silly and make myself look stupid. I have noticed that people like be better when I'm quiet but how can I be more quiet?

Try to be aware what you are talking, it is difficult  but you will be avoiding stupid stuff

Sometimes staying alone for hours can help you to practice speaking in your mind. It might work.

• Git

Count to ten slowly before you open your mouth to talk. Talk only for ten seconds and then keep silent. Repeat the above cycle again.

Incidentally, it is usually not just the talking that people likes or dislike; it is the substance of what you are saying.

To change, you need to have high motivation and intention. 

Experts claim that it is easy to develop bad habits, especially when a person is young. 

But, you have to bear in mind that a bad habit is a process that begins from your mind. 

Thus, you can remove it if you want to. 

• KTJoe

If loud, wild crazy guy is who you are than be that, you can't change who you are, only law enforcement can change you aka "Yes sir...no sir"

• garry

how about shutting up , yes it is a stupid question .

Have a look at 'popular' people. They're popular because they're respected. Getting the ODD laugh is good, but you've gotten into the habit of doing it all the time. And this kills your credibility. I used to be just like you. Whenever I wanted to speak up, I'd stop myself - and more often than not, someone else came up with exactly what I wanted to say! Other times I wanted to help - then stopped myself there as well and sure enough someone else came up with the 'solution'/or the person came up with it themselves. Stepping in all the time makes you come across as monopolising the conversation - no one likes that. Basically step back and let other people 'shine'. 'Sharing' is something we're all taught when young - this also includes talking.

you can think thru what you want to say...maybe the thing you want to say isn't  stupid you just couldn't deliver the right idea you shouldn't dwell on what you said before its just going to make things worse

• bj_dj

Well then shut the **** up!  Simple.

• ?

Just remember the more you talk the more you will bore and turn off others. Most people are just waiting for a chance to talk about themselves and if you talk constantly they won't want to be around you. They want someone that will be interested in THEM.