How come you can choose to have your tubes tied but you can’t choose to have a hysterectomy?

Shouldn’t that be up to the person to decide? It’s something I’ve wondered and never found a good answer.

What I mean is like if someone doesn’t want their period anymore or knows they don’t want to have kids, and they have no medical problems, I’ve heard that doctors won’t agree to do it. Unless they have an actual reason/problem that would require them to have one.

• kelvin
    Favorite Answer

having your tubes tied can be reversed unlike a total hysterectomy you can't reverse that once it's done

There are so many things that could go wrong, unless you have cancer or a terminal illness directly affecting them. Women are best off not having their tubes tied. It is just best to take the pill or take period aspirin or change your diet and exercise routines to see if you get a lighter menstrual cycle. 

Source(s): I know what your going through, honey.
  • MissA

For much of the same reason you can't rock up to the hospital and say "Hey, I am kinda over having a gallbladder.  Let's go ahead and get that thing pulled."

Removal of an organ is a big deal and shouldn't normally be done on a healthy organ.

Because you're trying to compare major surgery to relatively  minor surgery which may be reversible. It's not that I disagree with you--I really don't. I think you ought to be able to choose not to ever have periods OR children--but there is a HUGE difference between having your tubes tied and a hysterectomy. The former does not really impact your hormone levels, your aging process or your body and the latter does. A hysterectomy is a really devastating procedure for most women. It doesn't merely mean they cannot have children or won't have periods. It affects hormone levels, which can affect a lot of other processes, including your likelihood of contracting breast cancer.  It makes incredibly difficult changes in a woman's body. No ethical doctor would choose that for a patient unless there was a valid medical reason to do so. It's sort of like amputating your foot because you have an ingrown toenail.. 

Like other people have said, a hysterectomy is irreversible, unlike having tubes tied. Also, any surgery carries risks, and a hysterectomy in particular might have risks we don't know about yet. For example, there's some evidence that women with hysterectomies are more likely to have dementia when they get older. The interplay between different organs is complex and still not fully understood. This is just one of several reasons why it's not a good idea to take out healthy organs for no good reason. (And for clarity, in the absence of debilitating conditions like endometriosis, not wanting periods and/or kids is not really a good reason because there are much less risky ways of accomplishing those goals.)

Hysterectomy would probably take a Lot of blood thus a high risk of death from hemorragic complications.

Having your tubes tied is fairly simple with very few complications.  A hysterectomy is major surgery.  It triggers early menopause as well as multiple other health problems.  Some women get off reasonably easy, but there are always negative side effects.  This is why hysterectomies are only done in cases where it's medically required.

I don't understand your question.

Hysterectomies happen, and people who have them choose to have them.

Where did you get the idea that they couldn't be?

-------

Re: your update - 

Most doctors wouldn't agree to unnecessary major surgery because it's unethical.  Not because the patient isn't allowed to "choose."

A hysterectomy IS major surgery.  Tubal ligation (getting "tubes tied") is not.

But hey, as we all know there are some doctors who don't have such ethical qualms.  Such a doctor would perform a hysterectomy is someone really wanted one, even if it were unnecessary.  No insurance would cover it, but it wouldn't be illegal.