Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 month ago

Refusing to wear mask on airplane?

I always wear my mask in public and make no bones about it. I see it as necessary until such time the threat of this virus has passed and medical experts say we no longer need them.

I am just asking this from a curiosity standpoint.

For example, Delta mandates passengers wear face masks. If you refuse, you cannot fly with them.

Supposedly.

But it seems like the exact timing of your refusal would be key here.

If you are refusing to put on a mask while you are still in the terminal, then they can deny you boarding.

If you board the plane, but remove the mask as soon as you sit down and refuse to put it back on, then they can eject you from the flight before take off.

But what if you wait until after takeoff, and until the plane is well on it's way to the destination, and only then do you remove your mask and refuse to put it back on.

Then what? 

Are they going to turn around a plane full of passengers or make an emergency landing over one person removing their mask?

We ain't gonna tolerate your left wing bullshit anymore.  You will wear a mask or you will be thrown out of the aircraft

• ?

WHY are you so ashamed to use your name when asking your pretend extreme travel situation questions.

Then what?

Probably not.  Can you be put on the Airlines no fly list for as long as they want? YES

Could you be arrested on landing/ Also a YES.

BE warned should this cause a disturbance on the flight the Captain may decide to land the plane and have you removed. YOU GET THE BILL for the Airlines extra fuel and time. The costs of other passengers delay etc.

Airlines have the option to sue when passengers cause such problems.

The costs involved are easily $100,000 or more.

As you have committed a felony you could get some jail time too.

Airline staff have enough to do with normal regular passengers they do not have time or much patience for games

EDIT Be advised you do not really want to have a hundred passengers not on your side for the rest of the flight.

Why are you anonymous? Have pride. You are protecting your fellow citizens. I do what you do. I wear a mask in public too and I lean towards conservative in the political realm (strictly independent). Holy cow. No shame.

If one takes off the mask and make a PITA of it while on-board. They WILL turn the aircraft around and have the unmasked removed. The unmasked one may have  to pay for the delay.

Source(s): Work part-time as a TSA officer.

Standard  procedure when a passenger refuses to obey a rule is to have the police waiting to arrest them whenever they land.

It is a felony to not follow the instructions from a flight attendant. You will NOT like the results

Though the airlines can choose how to handle non-face-mask wearers in any number of ways, two carriers—United and Delta—said that flyers refusing face coverings would be banned for a period of time. ... The airline noted that those who "choose not to comply with this" will indeed be risking "future flight privileges

You probably don't want to be in a plane when somebody suddenly refuse to wear the mask.... The threat that would have to give from the flight attendant should freeze that person... I think that this person would be put aside of others if possible ... handcuffed and the police would wait at the following airport.

Amongst the other repercussions mentioned here, they'd probably never let you fly with them again.

No, but you could face a massive fine and criminal prosecution once the plane lands.

• JJ

Some guy got thrown off the plane midflight for doing that so I'd think twice before doing it.