Are Muslims allowed to have friends of the opposite gender?

Assalamuaikum. I recently became Muslim, and I am a woman who has been told by sheikhs and other Muslims and seen on many online lectures that men and women are not allowed to be “just friends”. And so I follow this. And I am very happy doing so. However. There is one person who keeps telling me I’m being too extreme and you are allowed to have whatever friends you want and that I’m just being insecure. 

In your opinion, Are women and men allowed to be “just friends?”

• 20 hours ago

Wasslam.

Yes. As long as they do not do haram stuff.

No. Never. Even for atheists. 

• Kin

Some people do, and get along just fine and they know how to behave around the opposite sex. Some people are more comfortable with the opposite sex and enjoy their friendships just fine.

Simply put, its not. A Muslim woman can’t hang out with a man who isn’t a mahram, and vice versa. Verbal interaction and limited superficial relationships are allowed. This is mostly out of necessity. In an Islamic society, this would be like the man in the market that you buy meat from every morning, extended family, a doctor-patient relationship etc. But you can’t be friends in the literal sense. 

Alhamdullilah that Allah guided you to the right path btw.