Real I.D. For traveling international question?

I plan on traveling to Switzerland in 2021 i have my passport but don't have a “real id” yet only a drivers license that cant be used for federal purposes. Anyways if I have my passport will that be enough or do i need to have a real id to fly internationally? 

As the have mentioned, the passport is the only ID that is necessary for when traveling from the U.S. It works for both customs and security.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/iden...

Source(s): Work part-time as a TSA officer.
  • drip

All you need is your passport. For flying within the USA or internationally.  

A real ID is also your driver’s license. See if you can update it at your DMV.  

• MS

A passport is all you need to travel internationally.  It is also acceptable ID for traveling domestically.  If you have a valid passport then you do not need another ID that is compliant with Real ID.  The passport is compliant and serves all the purposes of a Real ID. 

An official passport trumps EVERY other kind of ID. And for international travel you MUST have one. No other kind of ID will work for international travel.

You don't need a Real ID license if you have a passport. That will be an acceptable ID for flying.

• Foofa

Your "Real ID" driver license is only useful in the US. International carriers and the nation of Switzerland only care that you have a passport. 

Your DL does not have to be REAL ID compliant if you have a US passport. 

• Zirp

Not sure what you are talking about. A passport is as real as it gets.  Your driver's license only allows you to drive

Source(s): living in europe

You only need a passport. Real ID is irrelevant for international travel. No one is going to even look at it unless you have lost your passport and the Real ID can be used by immigration authorities or embassy staff to establish your identity.

• A.J.

Pretty sure passports have an embedded chip now. They are "real ID". Check its expiration date.