Real I.D. For traveling international question?

I plan on traveling to Switzerland in 2021 i have my passport but don't have a “real id” yet only a drivers license that cant be used for federal purposes. Anyways if I have my passport will that be enough or do i need to have a real id to fly internationally? 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

As the have mentioned, the passport is the only ID that is necessary for when traveling from the U.S. It works for both customs and security.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/iden...

Source(s): Work part-time as a TSA officer.
  • drip
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

All you need is your passport. For flying within the USA or internationally.  

A real ID is also your driver’s license. See if you can update it at your DMV.  

• MS
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

A passport is all you need to travel internationally.  It is also acceptable ID for traveling domestically.  If you have a valid passport then you do not need another ID that is compliant with Real ID.  The passport is compliant and serves all the purposes of a Real ID. 

• 4 weeks ago

An official passport trumps EVERY other kind of ID. And for international travel you MUST have one. No other kind of ID will work for international travel.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

You don't need a Real ID license if you have a passport. That will be an acceptable ID for flying.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Your "Real ID" driver license is only useful in the US. International carriers and the nation of Switzerland only care that you have a passport. 

• 1 month ago

Your DL does not have to be REAL ID compliant if you have a US passport. 

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not sure what you are talking about. A passport is as real as it gets.  Your driver's license only allows you to drive

Source(s): living in europe
  • 1 month ago

You only need a passport. Real ID is irrelevant for international travel. No one is going to even look at it unless you have lost your passport and the Real ID can be used by immigration authorities or embassy staff to establish your identity.

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Pretty sure passports have an embedded chip now. They are "real ID". Check its expiration date.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.