does my landlord have to include the actual meter readings on my monthly water bill. Just can;t write in a price, correct.?

Does my landlord have to include the actual meter readings on my monthly water bill. They can't just write in a price correct.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Likely there is one watet meter per building and the bill is divided by the number of residents.  They may and can add an administrative fee to cover the cost of billing tenants.  

• 1 month ago

If the lease says you are paying for water, then they have to prove to you the cost. If the lease says they will charge you xxx for water every month, then they can charge you this, regardless of the actual cost (assuming the charge isn't obvious gouging). If there is a verbal agreement that you'll pay for water then you should ask to see what his actual cost is, though there is more leeway for them to charge you a bit extra (but again, if they charged you a ridiculous amount then it wouldn't hold up in court).

• RICK
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

NO, but they must be available for you to review

• 1 month ago

If it is included in the rent, you pay what he tells you to pay.  If he has agreed to pay your bill and you reimburse him, then he should be submitting a copy of each bill to you so that you could see exactly what the cost was, to reimburse accurately.  It just depends on your arrangement with the ll.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

You don't need meter readings, you need copies of the actual bills from the water authority.

• 1 month ago

That is going to depend on where you are, but probably not.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i would talk to your landlord about it

• 1 month ago

Where do you live that your landlord bills you for water?

I've lived in places where water was included in your rent (because it was cheaper than installing meters on every unit) or where the tenants were billed by the utility company directly.

But never by the landlord.

Regardless - if your landlord bills you for something based on your individual usage (rather than as a flat fee) you have a right to see what usage amount its based on.  In this case, on the meter reading.

• R P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Probably not, but that depends on your local laws.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Find something more important to worry about.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.