Is it grammatically correct to say "teenage boy" or "teenage man"?

depending it they are under or over 18 ?

Update 2:

so Adam, the nawspaper article got it wrong,

"A murder probe has been launched after a teenage boy was stabbed to death in north east London.

The victim, 17, was found suffering knife wounds after police were called.."

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

try - "teenager".  A teenager is not a man until he reaches the age of majority in his state/where he lives.  That could be 18 or 19 or 21.  Younger than that, a teenager is a "youth".  A boy is younger than a youth, about under age 13.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I have never associated the word 'teenage' with 'man' or 'woman'.

Most people say simply 'teenager', usually meaning young to mid teens. In many countries people become full legal adults at the age of 18, and the word 'teenager' tends to be dropped (no longer used) after then.

I am not surprised at the newspaper article about the teenage boy - that is to make it certain certain that it was not a teenage girl who was stabbed.

• 1 month ago

In the US, per AP Stylebook guidelines, anyone 18 or older is referred to as a man or woman. One would not use the phrase "teenage man." If he's 18+, he's simply a man. If he's under 18 like in the example above, he would be a boy. I *think* "teenage" would be acceptable as an adjective, to differentiate from a young child. 

• 1 month ago

It is not a question of grammar but of usage and individual choice. The newspaper probably has a style guide that sets out its preferred usage.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

teenage male, not teenage boy or teenage man. boy and man imply age and so does teenage, hence you cannot say both. it would be like saying this is a new old car. or this is a used new car. you get the point

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.