Is it harder for women to make it in skilled trades outside of doing hair and nails?

• Lisa
    Favorite Answer

It depends upon what sort of skilled trades you mean.  If you are referring to construction work (such as roofers, carpenters, plumbers, and electricians) then yes.  It is MUCH harder.  By this I mean it is much harder for women who have equal strength and ability to the average man.  It is harder to get accepted into training programs and it is harder, when one is fully trained, to be taken seriously and be given a chance at a job.  There are, of course, women out there who are successfully doing these sorts of jobs.  There have been for decades.  But a woman who has equal skills and abilities to a man is still going to have a much harder time finding work and, too, is likely to experience a significant amount of discrimination on the job.  

Source(s): Ex-park ranger and firefighter who has written articles about the difficulty women face in the trades.

Personally i think it take creativity and motivation that most don't  have because they settle.

Modern women have proven their abilities in almost every skill and trade today.

• Snezzy

Certain trades are notoriously difficult. I'm thinking of roofing, where a young man is put to work "pumping" the shingles. That's carrying 80-pound bundles of shingles up a ladder, over and over until the roof is done. It's certainly not a job for an old man (me) or for most women I know.

• Lili

Not in terms of their skills. I know women in ALL the skilled trades, by which I am referring to the non-traditionally-female-dominated trades: plumbing, construction, HVAC, etc.

It's not as though they have any more trouble acquiring those skills than men do, let's face it.

However, they may face harassment and other problems simply because the men already in the trades don't want them there.

I used to have a fabulous lady plumber. She got into the field because her father was a plumber, and she followed him into his business.  She always had an apprentice trailing around behind her when she visited my house, and the apprentice was always male.  I asked once why she never had a female apprentice.  She said that she visited careers fairs at high schools all the time and tried to interest women, but every time one expressed an interest, some guy -- a boyfriend, a brother, a father, even just a male friend -- told her it was a "man's field".

By the way, I live in a big city, where we have tons of male dental hygienists, radiology technicians, nurses, medical assistants -- you name it.  Some people live limited lives and don't know what goes on in the rest of the world.

Depends on the area. I know women in construction,  car repair and other trades. 

• Construction and cosmetics are not the only skilled trades.  Men dominate construction.  Women dominate medical & healthcare.

• No. I'm a woman, I've never had jobs doing hair or nails. I get them done by a professional. My hair stylist is a man, women usually do my nails. I work in a ware house that requires me to lift up to 50 pounds regularly.

We're not living in the 50s any  more. Skilled trades should be treating women more equally.

Probably.  Many women can't lift enough/ are not strong enough.

• Tavy

No for the UK. We have women Engineers, builders, electricians, gas engineers, mechanics.

We have moved on here.