Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

I have a 1992 Buick Century 2.5 L 4-cylinder putting sound out the muffler in back?

Okay so the exhaust in the back before the muffler and after muffler has holes in it and puts like hell at idle is the putting because of the holes in the pipe or should I be worried it is something else causing that? I've been driving that car ever since I bought it nearly a year ago and that's the only issue I have going on with it for now and yes I am going to get the exhaust fixed soon but I'm wondering if that putting sound is from the bad exhaust/muffler. 

Keep it up having smartass answers but no I don't own a junkyard I just like to buy used old cars and fix them if I can and if I can't afford to fix them I sell them and by the way my S10 is a really good truck I've had that for more than 3 years and I plan on keeping it longer.

Hey d****** in fact I know a lot about cars and also I just had new plugs put in it! Sorry I forgot to mention that! 

Favorite Answer

Fix the exhaust first and see if that doesn't fix the problem.  If the problem persists then I'd start with changing out the spark plugs.  Those old GM 2.5s are finicky when it comes to plug type and for whatever reason they tend to run like crap if you use anything but basic copper spark plugs in them.  Make sure you verify that the new plugs are gapped correctly before installing too.  Good luck. 

• arther

A 28 year old car and you know nothing about cars stop wasting money on **** heaps. How many defects would an honest roadworthy find?

you're asking yahoo answers if a hole in the exhaust will make it noisy you know sfa about cars? 

Holes in any exhaust will be noisy, but also check for misfire.

• Bill

Fix the exhaust and see if the problem is gone.  I think it will be.

I'd put a set of AC spark plugs and spark plug wires in it. 

If you had to take a guess - a wild leap of logic  - if your life depended on it, what would your wild guess be as to the function of something called "muffler"?

Gotta say:  in just a few months, you've had this Buick Century, a Lincoln Town Car,  a Chevy S-10, a DODGE ROYAL MONACO . . . . and seems that every one of them is a POS, nothing works - no brakes, no cooling, no seats etc. etc. etc.  Do you own a junk yard or a fly-by-night used car lot?

Do you get sleepy while driving?  Do you like carbon monoxide?  Looking forward to a shorter life span?  

Better get the car fixed.

• L.N.

That is most likely the issue, but without hearing it myself I can't rule out exhaust valve issues.