Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Why would it be against my first amendment rights to have a pictured of a ripped American flag on my facebook page?

Sorry, I could explain why I hate and disprove of bunker ***** but it would take too long. Anyways would it be against my first amendment rights for an employer to discriminate against me for having this image on my facebook wall.

The true valor and honor of an American hero is someone that would die to protect the freedoms that we so cherish that are now being threatened by a hateful inciteful government that wants to exclude people from different countries from working to make this country the backbone that it became through the hard work of the middle class. I can’t support Dump because he is indifferent to the sufferings of minorities in this country. 

• Bruce

You are on your own. 

Discrimination laws protects persons who belong to a protected class. Being anti-American is not a protected class. 

The First Amendment protects you from the government, not from employers. 

Absolutely NOT against your 1st Amendment rights, which speak ONLY to what the government can and cannot do regarding what you say.

Political speech is not protected by federal discrimination law, therefore, your former employer has every right to give you the middle finger while showing you the door.

Your EMPLOYER can fire you or discriminate against you because your EMPLOYER isn't putting you in jail over it. In fact FACEBOOK can suspend your account for using that photo if they wanted, because facebook isn't the Govt. Please learn what the First Amendment says. 

No, that does not violate any of your rights.

• xyzzy

It would not be against your first amendment rights to post that picture on your Facebook page. Of course Facebook has the right to remove it if they wish and your employer has the right to " discriminate against" you up to and including dismissal. You don't seem to understand what the First Amendment says, it reads "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." The important word is "Congress". It only applies to the government not to private businesses. If you do something foolish there can be consequences.

IDK, but we'd all report it and get it taken down 

Your right to speech has NOTHING to do with the right you DON'T have to be employed by any given employer.

Discrimination on the basis of political views is generally not good business, but is it not illegal in the US.

• Maxi

Your first amendment rights are zero to do with your employer and yes the employer could fire you if they feel you are not the right sort of employee they want working for them..........

There is no "First Amendment" right not to have an employer discriminate.  The First Amendment only gives you the right to do things without being punished by the government.  It does not give you the right to do anything without employer discrimination.  It is not against your First Amendment rights for an employer to discriminate, for any reason.

(The exception to this would be if the employer actually is the government.)

First Amendment rights have NOTHING to do with private businesses.  They can make any rules they wish and you agree with them when you click "I agree" when signing up for an account.