Best sewing machine for beginners?

I'm tired of going to get my pants hemmed so I want to do it myself and save myself money and trouble. It would also be for a few other odd jobs. I'm looking for a good sewing machine for under $150. Yes, I know that the best ones run 200-400 bucks but I can't really afford that.

• a

jeans (A machine stitched hem?) or dress pants? 

I suspect you'd be better off getting a nicer used machine rather than a cheap, new machine, if you're going to machine-stitch denim. I have a pretty expensive home sewing machine, but multiple layers of denim go through my commercial machine.

The hems done on dress pants are done on a specialty machine, that just does hems. You don't want one of those, probably. A domestic (home sewing) machine will most likely do a 'hemming stitch' but it's not the same thing.

Dress pants on a home sewing machine takes some finesse. It can be done, but may take as much time to do well as taking a needle and thread to the pants while sitting in front of the TV watching a show.  (No joke, once you get the hang of it, it takes about 30 minutes.)

A lot of the things I get paid for are things folks could do themselves. Good luck.