Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 1 month ago

Which for first car: 4runner or grand cherokee?

I’m getting my first car for Christmas. I would want either a grand cherokee with a 5.7hemi or a 4runner, both 2017. 

In the jeep I like the technology, which is what 4runners dont have. Which would you recommend?

• F

As a first car, both are ridiculous especially anything with a massive V8.

These cars are too big, you’ll have trouble parking, they handle like boats, you’ll have it in a ditch or roll it.

Get a Honda Civic.

The Toyota, because jeeps are expensive to maintain, AND high maintenance vehicles.

The Jeep may have the technology and power but it doesn't have the quality and reliability of the Toyota. Do your research before buying any car and you won't have to ask these kinds of questions in the future. 

• lj1

Between those two, I would get the 4Runner. Chryslers just aren't built to last. People don't opt for the Hemi engine to drive like a grandma to the supermarket and to church on Sunday. They get it to tow things and to go fast. 

If you take decent care of the 4Runner, it will still be going strong when the Grand Cherokee is rusting in a junkyard. If you hold on to it, you can pass it down to your kids. If you choose to keep it for a few years, and then trade it in, it will have a much higher resale value than any similar Chrysler product. 

grand cherokee is a bad idea.

A Toy. vs a Crypler. Do you really need to ask.

If you want reliable, buy the Toyota.

If you like waiting for breakdown recovery trucks, buy the Jeep.

Toyota build for long-term reliability.

Fiat Chrysler (Jeep) build for an acceptable level of warranty claims for the first few years after a car is sold.

• Bill

Ask your insurance agent what it will cost to insure a teenage driver in a hemi V8 powered Grand Cherokee.  

Take the 4Runner and be happy for years