If I take my lock off my storage unit & majority of my stuff is moved out, can they still charge me?

I was kicked off of campus because of covid last March. Because of the short notice, I was forced to get a storage unit. I live in NYC and my school is in Albany, so it’s about 3 hours each way. I recently went up there to move my stuff out but when I got there about 2 of my boxes were completely ruined because something inside spilled. I went up there with a friend of a friend & the box that was soiled was really heavy and I didn’t want to have them help with something that I couldn’t even use. Inconsiderately, I did leave it there but I took the lock off and left the two boxes there. However, they are still trying to charge me for those two boxes and saying they will put a new lock on even though they have knowledge that I don’t want it. Is that allowed?

• RICK

Yes, until you notify them you are vacating to unit they can charge you, even if the unit is totally empty

Did you inform them in writing that you canceled the rental? If not, with items still there, you're still renting. If you've done so, you're in violation of the terms of the lease by leaving garbage in there and should be charged a cleanout fee.

Yes it's legal--you left items in the unit, you removed the lock and you apparently didn't clean it up before you left! it's just common sense.  If you didn't clean out that unit totally, and you took off the lock, the storage company had no way of telling if you intended to continue using it or not--so yes, you are liable for whatever they charged you. 

You're probably not allowed to have any stuff in the storage unit without a lock, because it attracts thieves.  Either remove everything, put on a lock, or pay for their lock.

You're still using it, so yes.

Tell them in writing that you are abondoning those items.

They are going to charge you for time spent throwing those items away and cleaning your unit.  But you won't be charged an extra month of storage.

Most storage units do not allow tenants to use the trashcans.  This is usually in your contract.  As such, don't expect the bill to be of 5mins for a handyman to throw out your items.  It will be a significant cost. 

Yes, as long as you have items in the locker they can't rent it to anyone else and they can charge you.

Easy solution - you say you don't want it so empty it out. Done deal.

Yes. They can keep charging you as long as you have stuff in there. It’s like your family renting a house. Everyone leaves except for you because your parents didn’t want you. Are your parents expected to keep paying rent even though they don’t want you. Yes. 

If you don’t want the stuff, then cancel your credit card so they can’t charge it. Once they can’t charge it, they’ll either get rid of your stuff or sell it to recuperate some money.