Anonymous

Someone is studying Electrical and Computer Engineering in University.He wins a scholarship to study Business and Finance for two years in?

a college.Ok,my mom yells.She says get the Engineering Degree and then do an MBA.I wanted to do something different.Finish the business school now and when I finish Electrical Engineering instead of the MBA I will study Civil Engineering because I will be able to finish it earlier due to the math background from the previous Major.Isnt this better?

Your mother is right.

MBAs & other business degrees are a glut on most markets. If you earn your bachelor's in engineering, work for 3-5 years in progressively more responsible positions before going for MBA, project management, or similar master's degree as the best MBA programs require this, but above all, employers want proven performers rather than back-to-back bachelor's + MBA. You'd be a fool to get a bachelor's in business, then have to return to engineering for another bachelor's. BTW, accounting & finance is not the right kind of math for engineering. No help at all.

• Expat

Does the scholarship have a specific time for use or is it open? I’d complete the engineering degree first and then do an MBA. Remember m the MBA is a graduate program, so you need to complete an undergraduate degree first. I’d finish the engineering degree first. 

• John

Your mother is correct.  

No, because your knowledge and skills, your familiarity with types of siftware, will become outdated unless you make?an effort to keep up with the professional literature, the engineering journals. This is?why many courses you took more than 5 or 6 years ago usually no longer count as credit toward.A degree.

What if something happens and you don't finish the masters degree. Then you will not have either degree.  

I highly recommend you investigate the job market for your degrees before deciding on you coursework at college.  Getting a 4 year Eng degree plus a 1-2 year MBA is a much better course than getting a 4 year Bus BA and a 4 year Eng degree.  A EE degree will get you a job faster at a higher income than a Civil Eng or B&F degree.  EE and CE are considerably different.   Your degree decision shouldn't be based on when you finish early, it should be based on which you will be more successful with.  Don't get a business degree first unless you really enjoy that kind of work, because it is much more competitive to get a decent job.  You will be better positioned with an Eng degree and an MBA than a bus BA and an engineering degree.  A Business BA will get you a job as an assistant managers at a Subway, where as a EE will get you a job working in high tech electronics.

Not really.  Business degrees are proving to be worthless.  People with degrees in Business are among the most likely to be unemployed and/or underemployed.  Degrees in English will get you further than a Business degree.  A degree in Engineering leads to better chances of employment as well as better salary.