Anonymous

Average age for a Masters Degree and completing school?

What is the average age for returning to school to get a masters degree? By what age is it common that people will not go back to school? 30,35,40. Obviously as you get older it gets harder to go back. 

It really depends on the subject area.  The average is probably pretty young because many people go straight from a bachelor's degree into a masters program -- or do so within a couple of years of graduation.  Of course, there are also many people who get a decade of work experience before determining the to continue moving up the career ladder - to to change directions -- they need to get a masters.  Those students will be significantly older. 

• drip

Three of my nieces and nephews went back for their Masters degree in their mid thirties. My aunt got her degrees in her forties.  A friend went back for his Masters degree at 52. 

Many student get their bachelor degree then work for four or fives years before going to graduate school.

Many of companies will send employees to graduate school for a specific area of study.

• Expat

Don’t worry about age. I was 32 when I went to graduate school for my Masters (I completed it in one year) and then at 40 I decided to start my PhD through distance and completed at 46. I disagree completely about it being harder when you get older. It may be harder on your lifestyle (my second child had just been born when I started my doctorate), but I found the work much easier than when I was an undergrad and young. I had other priorities including dating and partying that I didn’t have as a grad student. I was also of similar age to my professors and was able to create better relationships with them than my younger classmates.