Justin Guzman asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Why do these stray cats only eat the food when im gone?!?

I am 25M and i put food out for stray cats. 

But im so mad because they wait for me to leave then they eat the food. 

If i catch them eating it they run. 

Its making me so mad, i dont even want to feed them anymore because i cant even get close to them. 

I just want to make friends and pet them but they’re assholes. 

What should i do?

Have you tried toys?

A real long piece of grass with the seeds at the end?  The kind of stuff you see overgrown in places.

A long stick with feathers at the end might work too.

It might catch their attention if not their friendship.

They probably feel threatened, as time goes on they will start warming up to you. I know that from experience with one of my cats. He was a stray cat that wouldn't eat whenever we were near, but now he comes in and out of the house and even asks for food. Hope this helps!

Use a shocker collar my little blueface gobshart

Because they're scared. They could be feral and not just strays.

• Niki

Maybe you should get a cat from a shelter.  It’s nice that you feed the feral cats, not sure why you call them a*******.  do some research on feral cats.   I feed some feral cats.  Building a shelter for them would be nice.  Then maybe they will stick around.  

sound feral to me, and not merely "stray"

• Darla

I don't feed a cat that doesn't let me pet it. 

I feed several feral colonies, and the members have a wide range of reactions.  Diablo, Schnozzola, Mumbles and Grumbles react much the way you describe.  Lancelot used to, now we can pet him.  Amigo always demands lots of petting before he will even look at food. Nicki and Ricki watch from 3-4 feet away.  Tiglaf sort of hangs back.  Just to mention a few.

My suggestion is to continue, and let those cats willing to be friendly gradually learn to accept you.

• Maxi

They are strays ( or ferals) so will not trust you as they don't have daily human contact like pet cats who get touched/loved/fussed daily

They're vulnerable when they're eating, and even though you're the guy with the food, they don't trust you fully.