is tamoxifen a carcinogen?

is tamoxifen known to be a carcinogen? You read all kinds of crazy things on the internet. What are some things that make it carcinogeous.(sorry dont spell well) are there things out there that are better at keeping cancer from coming back? How does Tamoxifen work?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • lo_mcg
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

People should not be dismissing your question.

Tamoxifen increases the risk of womb cancer. It can’t be stressed enough that this side effect is extremely rare, and is far outweighed by the benefits of Tamoxifen - for example it has been shown to offer long term protection against breast cancer, up to 20 years in women who have taken it for five years.

The small risk of womb cancer is mainly to post menopausal women. I’m probably out of date because it’s some time since I had breast cancer so there may now be others, but I took Arimidex (Anastrozole), which is prescribed to post menopausal women and has fewer side effects than Tamoxifen. 

• LAN
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yet another of Mr Rights alts.   You can tell because he never has brains to think up more than one thing at a time to keep obsessing over.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

carcinogen?  REALLY ???

amoxifen attaches to the hormone receptors in the cancer cell, blocking estrogen from attaching to the receptors. This slows or stops the growth of the tumor by preventing the cancer cells from getting the hormones they need to grow.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.