Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Posh food vs Junk food what is really better? Is there a science to it or is it all subjective? ?

(joke version coming soon)

Take into consideration we are hard wired for high salt high fat high sugar etc and fast food delivers their for sure

I was going to say posh food is more sophisticated and subtle but im not so sure there are more ingredients and difficulty  in creating that deep fried chicken ie more spices harder to make that taste good compared to that Also consider a social bias ie because ist more expensive the hive mind idea is that "it must be better" and then everyone agrees

I can recreate the posh food at home much easier than the junk , ist far less sophisticated 

I think teh hungrier you are the better the fast food becomes, I think with less of an appetite u may choose the posh food? 

I think teh highest enjoyment in food is when you are hungry and ull enjoy the junk mor ethen too so thats a plus point for junk food being superior and in a way that isnt just subjective its probably the same for everyone that isnt very specific in their habitual tastes ie its hard wired

So when you are so hungry ull enjoy any food but ull esp enjoy high calorie food I think junk perhaps can create the highest order of pleasure and is therefore superior ?

But thats when you are very hungry where theres a different dynamic to when youa re just normal level hungry 

I was going to argue that posh food has more subtle flavours and a higher quality of ingredients, and better ways to cook it perhaps, (all perhaps you can argue against) and that leads to a more subtle sophisticated taste experience, "I think perhaps this is ultimately just another flavour" sometimes u fancy junk sometimes posh food

except ingredients ohs food has better ingredients in terms of meat quality freshness etc 

posh food create high pleasure with more health 

I guess its just what u fancy at any given time pointless question 

• JOHN B

"Posh" is in the presentation. I can take your posh picture and turn it into junk by presenting it under the bread on the left. I can do the same to your junk on the left by "presenting" it sans bread. 

posh or junk is subjective to the person eating it. What might be posh to me might be junk food to you...

• IvaB

Hope you enjoyed the conversation with yourself. Like most everything you'll find anywhere, my "answer" is subjective.P.S. Your thinking seems more philisophical  than culinary ,BUT your conclusion has led you (I think) to a better understanding of "life".   Thats' kinda cool.  😎

Food is very subjective. You might absolutely love caviar, I cannot stand the stuff. Just because it is posh, does not mean it is better.

• The devil is in the details.  It's about what's actually in the food (chemicals, additives, preservatives, etc.)

'Posh' food might include more fresh options - but irrelevant of which is better, if you can't afford it then it's pretty irrelevant. 

Low income people often have poorer diets because of this wealth disparity. 

Lobsters are in the same genus as most bugs and were considered garbage food for the poor at one time. Quinoa was some ancient grain that some poor village in Columbia ate because that's all they had. Sugar and nutmeg also was bought back to the King from some far off land and became a status symbol, as is often the path of posh foods.

• kswck2

It depends on your definitions. Is a candy bar really Junk Food to someone going into diabetic shock?