Why do I pause and stutter so much when I’m speaking?

The older I’ve gotten (32 now), the more I pause while I’m speaking to someone else. I’ve searched for answers from people who have experienced similar issues, but I haven’t had much luck. 

I’ve noticed that it’s occurring when I’m in a serious conversation, and not so much during casual conversation or rambling. 

It sounds weird to compare, but if you’ve ever heard Elon Musk speaking, I sound similar to that. 

I’m really just looking for answers or ideas to improve as its been driving me nuts. Thanks in advance!

If you're in a serious conversation, there's nothing wrong with pausing before you speak. Just the opposite - if it's serious, you want to think carefully before your speak. Also, some people say that it's a good idea to think about what you're going to say before you speak if you have a problem with stuttering. If it helps with your stuttering, why not do it?

If you think you have a serious problem, I'll mention that often people who are dealing with this problem come here and recommend the Stuttering Foundation online.