5 year till wedding?

I watched a video recently about a woman that waited 5 years to get married to her husband.  Would u let someone ask for an engagement that long?

Or would it be too dangious to be apart like that

Some couples want to wait till the kids from a previous relationship to grow up and move out.

I knew my husband for 5 years before we agreed to wed. We wed 5 weeks after our engagement. No, I'd not lurk around for 5 years "engaged" without a wedding date. 

• rick

My late wife and I cohabited for several years. We never discussed marriage and I had no intention of getting married. Eventually we relocated. We needed to get her on my company's health insurance, and I needed her income to qualify to buy a new house. We got married, because it was the pragmatic thing to do at the time. We were married for 27 years, before she passed. Today, there are several, much better arrangements, that would have accomplished the same thing, without all the problems of marriage. Marriage is an outdated institution that has no place in the 21st century.

• T J

Yes, especially if I really do not want to get married.

I can't control what someone asks me. 

I cannot see why it would be necessary.  Nor can I see any particular problem.  It is what you DO during this engagement that either creates risk or ameliorates it.  The problem in the US is that so few marriages last 5 years that you may end up divorced before you even get married.

• Jerry

I would insist on a long engagement, long enough to get past the "woo and win the one you desire, be on your best behavior" stage and get to the "showing your true colors" stage. Take the time to live a few years of "marriage lite," to deal with conflicts about spending/saving, about in-laws, about how the two of you are going to live as a single unit rather than as two independent entities. If two people can successfully deal with MARRIAGE planning, then the subsequent wedding planning will be a snap. The couple might not agree on everything, but they've reached agreement on how to handle disagreement and that's fundamental. 

• David

Who said anything about being apart?  If you are engaged, you are typically seeing someone and sexing them up on the regular.  It's not possible for an engagement to be too long.

If the pair are committed and need to save for a house, they could save a lot of money in 5 years.

Maybe, if for a good reason, like finishing med school, or getting out of prison.