Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 4 weeks ago

Landlord question?

So, I am applying for this apartment that looks very nice, however management has seemed really pushy. I am moving mid December. They try and push applicants to sign the lease within 48 hours of acceptance even though I had paid the $250 deposit fee. I asked to see the unit and the landlord says I can't because there is still a tenant living there. Is it weird of me to go to the apartment unit I will be renting, knock on the door and ask them if they've had an issues with the unit myself? 

It's not to view the property, it's just to ask if they've had any issues with upkeep or pests. 

Actually, that's a great idea. Because people who live there won't lie, so they'll tell you about all the issues they have (in any). Go for it!

You can see it even with a person living there.  

• Hannah

It’s weird.  You don’t know the relationship between the landlord and tenant or why they’re moving out....Perhaps worst case scenario, it is an unhealthy relationship and the tenant doesn’t know they will be getting evicted.  You could be putting the landlord at risk by pissing off the tenant.  

But if it’s a multi-unit complex, you could try to find a renter walking around outside in the complex, introduce yourself, and mention that you’re thinking about moving to the complex (without giving a specific unit).  Ask if they have had issues with neighbors, the landlord, pests, etc.  Just avoid knocking on doors.

Yeah, Let me sell you a car without a test drive.

This is crazy. Sounds fishy because it IS fishy.

I would look elsewhere for a place to live.

its weird of you to want to live there.....landlord is a unethical...i'd look elsewhere.

The landlord is talking nonsense. You can absolutely arrange a viewing with the tenant in situ (it is standard!) - don't agree to anything, pay anything, or sign anything, until you've viewed the property in person. 

• Maxi

You have commited to rent the property without viewing it? That is stupid as if you change your mind you will lose the deposit..... the managment should be told you will not sign until you can view the property, they have your deposit so they know you want it and have reserved it regardless of them doing their job and arranging a viewing..... nothng stops you knocking on the door and asking however if I was the tenant I would not let a stranger view the property it needs arranging by the managing agency......

• R P

You should not knock on the door unless you are accompanied by the landlord.

However! You also should not sign a lease until after you have viewed the unit. Once you sign the lease, you are bound by it plus it means you have accepted the unit in it's current condition.

ETA:   If I were the tenant currently living in the unit, I would not be happy at all if a prospective tenant knocked on my door & asked questions about the landlord or if I had issues.  And, I would certainly call the landlord immediately to let him know that happened.

It may not be illegal for you to do so, but it certainly is rude and tacky.

It's not unusual for them to want you to sign quickly.   Either you sign or they will rent to someone else.

What IS weird is that they are refusing to show you the unit.

I'd tell them I'm ready to sign TODAY, but after they show you the unit.  If they want you to sign a lease sight unseen, that would be a deal-breaker for me.