Do you like the name Eisley? ?

My 1 yr old daughters name is Eisley. It’s pronounced EYES-LEE. 

I let my husband name her cause the name was very important to him. I haven’t ever been 100 percent sure on it myself. Lately, my husbands dad has been calling her eyeball or eyeballs.

It has been upsetting me. I have a fear she will get made fun of or picked on for the rest of her life. 

I don't think you have anything to worry about.  Eisley is a lovely name and she will always remember her grandfather calling her something silly.  My father-in-law use to call my daughter Fred.  He died over 10 years ago, but she always laughs when she thinks about his pet name for her.

• Marie

Not really a huge fan of the name but it doesn’t matter what I think.  We thought very carefully about what we named my son. My husband and I went back and forth for awhile until we agreed on names. But I do like uncommon names . Your father in law probably was joking and didn’t think anyone would be bothered by the nickname. It could be far worse. But maybe mention to him not to call her that. Kids will get picked on regardless. 

Mos Eisley from Star Wars

Whatever the 2 of you decide on is perfect but each time your father-in-law calls her eyeball, I would correct him and not jokingly.

I think dads tend to have a different sense of humor than moms when it comes to some things... my dad liked to call one of my sisters Saber Tooth (it rhymed with her name sort of), but that doesn't mean we needed to change her name and it never left the family. Let it be a silly nickname from dad being a dad. 

When you have a child with an unusual name that has an odd spelling, you are going to get people who will either tease the name or not be able to pronounce or spell it. That is a given.

But, to have your father in law, a grown man,  come out with a stupid nick name is rather immature and childish. I don't blame you one bit for being 

offended.

It is time for YOUR HUSBAND to set his father straight and let him know, in NO uncertain terms how to address and refer to his grand daughter by her NAME. Hubby has to be firm and make it his request, not just yours because you both need to stand united.

I wouldn't sweat it; there's some real creativity in names these day and everytime I see one of my sons' class lists it seems there's at least a name or two I've never heard before.

I personally think Eisley is a neat name! On a related note, I've seen "Pressley" (sp?) and "Paisley" as similar-sounding kid names that roll off the tongue but are unique. 

And while it's perfectly fair to tell your FIL you don't care for the nickname and request he not use it, he may well not mean any harm by it. We (I swear) called our youngest "Eyeballs" for months because he seemed like he was all eyes when he was a newborn. What can I say, our family is weird and my sons love making up new (mostly good-natured) nicknames for each other, despite having uber-common first names. There's always "that kid" who will tease anyone for any name but most kids grow out of that stage soon enough.

Eisley is fine as a name. It reminds me of the Isley Brothers, an R&B group back in the 1970s. (Isley is pronounced the name way as your Eisley.) Give your little girl a nickname like Leelee or Icy or even Cookie if you want, but have your husband talk to his dad about his unacceptable nickname.

"Do you like the name Eisley?"    My opinion doesn't matter.

"I let my husband name her cause the name was very important to him. I haven’t ever been 100 percent sure on it myself."     When two people are married, they are supposed to work together to find solutions that work for both of them.  

"It has been upsetting me."    Ok, but has anyone told him that?   He is not clairvoyant.

"I have a fear she will get made fun of or picked on"   All kids are made fun of whether it's their name or their height or they wear glasses.    It's your job as parent to teach your child coping skills.  

• love  the  name  eisley … but,  also  love  names  such  as  hannah  and  janine.  as  for  the  in-law … have  you  asked  your  in-law  why  he  chooses  to  call  your  daughter  by  that  name?  and  make  sure  you  ask  in  serious  manner … not  joking  or  light-hearted.  your  hubby  needs  to  counsel  him  on  ethics  and  morals … i  mean,  how  would  the  in-law  appreciate  being  called  "rat-fink"?