Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Class reunion and invitation ?

How does someone find out about their High School Reunion? Who organizes it? Obviously the internet has made it a lot easier. Is it rare not to receive an invitation? What about before the internet what was the typical way someone found out about their reunion, again is it common not to get the announcement?

you can look up your school on google and it will tell you

You can do internet search engine searches. Also, looking up the local gazette or calling the school to see what website or other information they have for it. Is where it is, I got lucky a lot of people keep talking when ours should be. I wanted to do one for "The Rejects and Jocks" prom, because I disagree with the whole "One must be likeable thing", what if one "can't ever win" or can't seem to. Like Princess Peach on a bad Super Mario Race Game. :( :'( :'( :(

• Daisy

I would check with your high school's Alumni Association.  You can probably find out about reunions through the high schools webpage. There may be links to the Alumni page or to a reunion page.

You may also want to contact your high school.  There maybe a staff member responsible for Alumni (possible donations, etc).

Despite the fact that we are in an Internet age, those planning reunions may not know where to go to look for alumni and may not do too much research to find everyone.

you might need to keep in touch with someone at the school about it, i never got any info about mine

Most likely they simply don't have an address for you.

Contact your school to see if it has an alumni association.  It is possible they are organizing one but don't know how to reach you.

I went to a small private school and all reunions were accomplished by the initiative of at least one member of the class.  After 17 years, that person was me.  I was a known partier, popular, but not known to be reliable, so many had their doubts I could pull it off.  But I did, tracking down about 85% of the class, which was difficult to do even with the Internet.  Without it, I bet my success rate would be 50% because I would have been limited to locals only.  The real doubters (in me) were the teachers.  Some declined simply because they thought I was trying to trick them  But the good ones showed up so it was fine.  Tracking everyone down was a combination of finding the parents (or other family members) of my classmates, networking with classmates I could find and some internet investigation based upon information like where they went to college and other tid bits I could find.  The year after I organized mine, the school saw that they needed to help more as they saw it as a source of donation revenue. 

Somebody from my school called my parents' house when the 20 year reunion came around. 

• Ona

Did you check Facebook? I've seen a lot of notices on my hometown's page when organizers were trying to locate graduates of particular years.

Typically it was always done through the mail. Each school typically has a Reunion Committe that organizes it. One would receive an invite through the mail. Now it's over the internet in most cases, and through the mail otherwise. If you haven't received an invite it might be because the Reunion Committee who organizes it for your school doesn't know how to contact you.

• drip

For our school, the senior school counsel picks two people to organize the future reunions. Most times they just announce it in different social media.  If they have any emails they send out an email blast.