What legal action can I take against landlord ?

My landlord is currently deployed but has given authorization for his father to oversee the property while he’s gone. I live in the second floor of a two family house. There’s no carpet so apparently whenever we walk it’s heard on the lower level on the house. We are getting constant texts from the landlords father that we are loud and inconsiderate at all hours of the night due to the complaints of the women downstairs from doing normal things like walking from my bedroom to the living room. I do not have guests over, I do not have music or tv playing loudly at night and my daughter who is 2 is asleep by 8. The women downstairs is the landlords sister so anytime she calls there father I’ll get calls or texts and this morning while leaving for work at 6:45am she shouted through the floors for me to “control my child because hers was sleeping” all because my daughter and I had to walk from her room to mine to get her clothes and shoes and head out the door. Followed by another phone call and text from her father. It’s to the point where he does not even listen to anything we have to say he just sides with her and has something to say three to four times a week. Is there any legal action I can take to get out of my lease and receive my money back because this has been going on for months and the place is falling apart. There repairs that are not finished from when we moved in and now I feel harassed and uncomfortable at all times


I should add I live in the state of Massachusetts so I’m unsure what tenant landlord laws are like and he has also sent intimating messages as well when we’ve tried to reach out to our actual landlord and not him (the father) directly 

5 Answers

  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

    I think if the landlord continues to refuse to carry out reasonable maintenance I

    would keep records and pictures of all relevant details and a diary of dates.

    Either you can carry out work yourself and send the bill to him taking the

    matter to the small claims court of he refused to pay or take him to court

    for neglecting your property and being unreasonable.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Hire an attorney, give them a few grand. Say goodbye to your few grand.

  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Do what most people would do, buy some rugs and put them on the floor, that way you will make less noise and not consistantly disturb others

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    You can't take any legal action.

    You can, however, buy some area rugs if you're tired of getting yelled at.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    No way to break the lease without a financial penalty.  Try walking around without shoes or wear sneakers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.