Homeless person keeps sleeping on patio how should I handle it?

There's some homeless person who keeps sleeping on or near my patio. I stay in an apartment on the bottom floor. One day he's on my neighbors porch and the next day he's on mine. I never get to catch him. Its like he knows right when to leave. He keeps leaving beach chairs. My upstairs neighbor saw him sleeping, not sure why he didn't notify anyone about it.

The last time I moved his things off my porch bullets came in my apartment. Police don't care. Landlord doesn't care. The only thing left for me to do is break my lease

As a former police officer, I'd say you're a bull-shi**er on this. If someone fired bullets into your apartment there would be a major investigation.

• R P

Pay the early lease termination fees and move, troll.

You are always free to pay the lease break fee & move at any time. 

The landlord does not have to move you to a different unit or release you from the lease without paying.

• Jay

#1 Stay up all night until you see him arrive and get into one of the chairs then call the police.

#2 Install a motion sensing spotlight that turns on when a person passes too close to your patio.

#3 Install one of those 'Deer Repelling sprinklers.  They are also motion tripped and no one wants to sleep where they are getting wet.

#4 contact the local homeless shelter and tell them there is a person in need sleeping on your patio.

#5 Send a formal complaint to both the landlord and the property manager.  Tell them that because they allow homeless people to trespass and sleep on patios that you feel unsafe.  Send it certified mail with a return receipt. This will be very important if your apartment ever gets broken in to and anything is taken or damaged.

#6 Install a motion sensing camera with infrared to record at night.  Send the recording to police.

#7 Request the landlord move you to a more secure apartment.

contact your area homeless outreach and ask for help

• James

Bullets rip Into your apartment and the first thing on your mind isn't leaving? Its not a house you own, I would leave in a heartbeat if I felt my life was in danger and it sounds like you are living in the wrong neighborhood if that's the behavior you have to put up with

Did you notify your landlord in writing, a real letter not a poxy text message?  Without that, breaking your lease will cost you a lot of money.  Otherwise what about letting him sleep there sometimes as your neighbour does?   There but for the grace of God goes any one of us.

But if he is bothering you I can think of a number of ways in which you can discourage him.  Probably the simplest is a good spotlight.  If there is already light in your porch area, put in a brighter bulb and leave it on all night.