Should I provide my number or wait?

I started talking to this person recently. He lives far away from me. He said that the app that we are on is kind of annoying because I guess it pops up with lots of notifications. 

He gave me his cellphone number and said I could text him only if I felt comfortable doing so. Should I give my number to someone I don't know? Or is there an app that gives a fake number, should I try that?

Favorite Answer

nah, just tell him to turn off notifications. Not a big deal. 

• Jerry

No, don't give him your number. Instead, use some instant messaging service like WhatsApp or Skype. A pest having your message service info is a lot easier to deal with than a pest having your phone number, and a lot of those people you "talk to" on line turn out to be pests, wackos, jack offs, and worse. 

Please keep in mind that people you've never met in real life may be something very very different from what their online personae would lead you to believe, that you can't possibly "know" a person you've not met in real life, and avoid sharing personal info like your real name, where you work, where you live, anything that could be used to identify you. 

Ultimately, this comes down to what is comfortable for you.  Only you know the communication style between you, so use that as your guide.  However, do not feel compelled to share your number if doing so does not sit right with you.

By the sound of it, the 'talking' is either by phone or by texting, you have never actually met and talked face-to-face.

So you should do what feels comfortable for yourself. He might be a nice chap, or he might be dragging you into any sort of nasty business. 

If you do decide to meet him, do that in a public place, a park or a café etc where there are lots of people around.  Probably best not to drink alcohol during the first meeting.

i wouldnt give my number to someone i didnt know

You could get a Google Voice number and give that over.