Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Atheists, does it anger you when Christians turn the other cheek and forgive you? ?

• Phil M

As an atheist, I don't feel anger when that happens, only pity.

• Wundt

I haven't done anything to require forgiveness.  If they are personally offended that I don't believe the same things they do, then perhaps they need to learn tolerance rather than forgiveness.  Also, based on my experiences (and some of the comments on this site) I don't see much 'forgiving' from Christians.

There are only three negative emotions - fear, anger and sadness (and variations of them).  Trained to hide our weaknesses and show our strengths, I learned to use anger as my 'go-to' emotion.  In reality, I was hurting. 

I was methodically tortured by several people growing up within my own family. One of my earliest memories is having my thumbnail ripped out with a pair of pliers when I was 4 yrs old. Stabbed when I was 8... beaten with a belt every few days... the list goes on and on and on. I was meek and timid. Afraid all the time. Sad all the time. 

When I was 15, one of them was beating my head on the floor with two handfulls of my hair, and to stop the beating, I dug my nails into their bare feet. This was the first time I fought back, ever. A full on fight ensued, but I defended myself. I didn't 'win'... I wasn't out to... I just didn't want to be beaten anymore. 

I felt vindicated. Empowered. This new thing - this anger - that was in me, started to surface more and more. It was MY GOD! I dug myself a rut for the next few decades until I had no control and despised myself. The abused became the abuser. They called me 'The Junkyard Dog' behind my back.  A well-earned label.

I remember those days... thinking that my anger was a cry for help. Couldn't people see past it?  Oh what I would have done if someone... anyone... had showed me a little kindness. 

Jesus set me free.  Now as gentle as a sheep... I would give you the wool off my back. God cured me of all my hate (including self-loathing), anxiety, tears, screaming, a thirty year smoking addiction and completely cured my addiction to all the temporary pleasures the world offers; including my addiction to sex. Shamefully, I don't remember how many lovers I had, nor do I want to.

I'm content all the time no matter what's going on, and I have a heart for the junkyard dogs out there; they didn't get that way on their own. 

After carefully investigating the claims Jesus made about Himself, I was convinced that this was no ordinary man. When I said the words out loud and believed in my heart, that Jesus was the Son of God, I was instantly given a shiny new life; a chance to start again.

Believers are living testimonies of Jesus' claims; happy to share, hoping it leads others to Him. 

May God bless you on your journey.

Peace.

no it angers me more when so called christians use their religion to start wars ,think they have to have expensive churchs to pray to the invisible man in the sky and molest kids

@wine about it, the Romans caused that phrase to cause anyone foolish enough to believe the NT stories, to  cause the Jews to become subservient  to the Romans. The entire bible is designed to trick the less intelligent to believe it.

The real reason the bible believers exists is because most people on this earth are really  stupid enough to believe religious nonsense.

The answer depends on what cheek we're talking about.

I neither do anything requiring the forgiveness of a Christian nor see Christians turning the other cheek to those who do. Hypocrites, the lot of them. 

No  not at all..... I simply find it a little amusing in all honesty..

If it ever happens I will let you know. I wouldn't hold your breath. 

The thought of angry atheists throwing a hussy fit gives your wee willy a wake, doesn't it?

I wouldn't know.  No Christian has ever turned the other cheek or forgiven me for anything.    They seem to hate that command just as much as they hate the command to help out the less fortunate.