Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareOther - Hardware · 4 weeks ago

Wiping computer drive?

I am currently wiping my computer drive, it has been approximately 4-5 hours in and I've been stuck at 52% (the computer is still running/loading). Should I wait it out or restart incase it's stuck?

download GParted and reboot and wipe!

• falcon

Something is wrong with your HD do a restart and if this continue replace  the hard drive

I've seen this phenomenon when a disk is wearing out.  There may be a region of bad sectors, and the OS will try resetting the drive and retrying the operation several times before giving up and moving on to the next sector.  Whatever operation you're doing, including a disk wipe, will eventually complete, but will be very slow.  And by slow, I mean possibly 10,000 times slower - what took 1 mS before can now take 10 seconds each time.

If you have a way of looking at SMART errors on the drive, run that utility.

You must, of course, be true to your own comfort levels on data security, but if it were my drive, I wouldn't use it again, and would throw it away (send to electronic recycling) at this point.  I don't keep anything truly sensitive on the computer, and I'm not a celebrity, so chances are, nobody would be interested in my data.  If you are more concerned, you can take a hammer to the drive, or drill through it.  Or if you have a small torx bit, you can open the drive up and harvest some nice magnets from it, then throw the actual disk platter(s) in the trash.

You will have to wait until complete.

It depends on what format you did - if you chose quick format then 4-5 hours is a long time, 5 minutes is long for quick format!   But if you chose complete format then it can take a very long time to do a total wipe, also if your using some of the more professional data wiping tools it can take even longer as it has to repeatedly write blocks over and over again a few times.

Also depends on what type of drive your formatting - if you're formatting an SSD then it should be much quicker than a disc based drive and of course what connection you have it plugged in - USB is much slower than SATA, NVME is much faster...

Formatting it several times, would take less time.

let the job run overnight

The drive is most likely faulty, and the 52% mark is where the problem is on the platter on the drive, there are probably a lot of errors, or the drive might have started to fail/degrade due to a defect with it and now it's at the point where it's struggling because the faults have accumulated.

Restarting the computer will still leave recoverable data on the drive since the process hasn't completed and you will run into the same issue when doing it again.

So just a heads up that you might have to replace that drive. You will need to check the SMART status data to see how many errors have been logged, Read/Write/seek errors will indicate there is a problem with the read/write head/arm, bad/pending/reallocated sector counts will indicate there is a problem with either the read/write head or the data platter or both.

Let is run, make sure you are plugged in/ good power supply. Interrupting it might cause it to crash and corrupt the drive.

• keerok

Leave it alone. 1TB? It may take more than a day.