When do I use "persons" instead of "person's"? When do I add the apostrophe?

Update:

Thanks man 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

1 person 

2 or more persons

person's = something belonging to one person

persons' = something belonging to plural persons

• RP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The apostrophe is necessary when referring to something that belongs to a person, like a book. For example, I saw the person's book fall, picked it up, and returned it to her/him. If there are many, the same rule applies. For example, the persons' applause showed their approval.

• F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Oh no! You’ll have the apostrophe police out now!

• 1 month ago

possessive is when you use person's, or perhaps persons' (depends on if you mean one or many).  Most people do use "people" as the plural version of "person", so it is not common to hear "persons" as the plural, but it is still done.

The person's luggage was on the cart.  The persons were in the cart (sounds very awkward to me, so I would say "the people were in the cart")  However, some might want to say "individual persons might consider that a good choice" and I don't find that awkward.  That is, it is sometimes ok or even better to use the plural "persons" rather than the plural "people". 

But to answer the question clearly, the apostrophe is used for a possessive form only.  It is not used when the s is used to indicate plural.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Expat
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

“Persons” is an antiquated word now only used in legalese. 

One person, two people. 

The apostrophe is used for the possessive form. “The bag is this person’s property.” 

Here’s a link about “people vs. persons”

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/peop...

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

persons= more than one person

person's = belonging to one person

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i think they sound good either way

• 1 month ago

Leave off the apostrophe when you're referring to more than one person. Use the apostrophe when referring to the possession of a person and the word "person's" modifies the object word. Dang, they taught me this in the 3rd grade, as we learned to diagram sentences to map out all the parts of speech.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.