How does a child who can only remember his name find his birth parents or his birth certificate? Can they do it through DNA test? ?

This is for a book i’m writing lol

• Zyzzyx

I knew my father but not my mother. I was raised by my aunt (father's sister).

When my father died, I found an old book among his things, with a name and 

address inside the cover. Since he was not bookish, I took this to possibly be

from my mother. This turned out to be a good lead, especially after ancestry.com

became available. I have recently had a DNA match with someone from my

mother's extended family~!

I have found high school and college yearbook pictures of my mother, also

thanks to ancestry.com.

About a year ago - Thanksgiving 2019 - I happened to be visiting Ohio and 

realized that my great-grandfather (mother's father's father) was buried in that

state. After establishing the location, I was able to visit the town and the cemetary,

and I found the grave~!

• Ann

If he/she knows the state he/she was born in, then there will be records.  It would be helpful if the county is also known.

In the United States, some states have open records, so the adoptee could find his or her original birth certificate by requesting it. Other states need to have a court order the opening of the original birth certificate, so he or she would have to go through the court.

One of the best ways for adoptees today is to submit their DNA to either ancestry.com or 23andme.com. I found my previously unfindable original father through cousin matches with the help of a volunteer from the Facebook group Search Squad.

Source(s): Adoptee and Adoptive Mom.
  • LizB

For a DNA test to determine genetic parenthood, the lab would also need a sample either of the parent's DNA or that of a very close relative (for example, if bio-dad has died, bio-dad's brother is a close enough relation to determine likelihood of paternity with a high chance of accuracy). 

As for birth certificate, if your story takes place in a modernized society, every citizen has a paper trail. You don't legally exist as far as the government is concerned without it. If this child has been adopted, then their original birth certificate would still have been recorded, though the adoption records may have been sealed until the individual turns 18. An exception to this would be if the individual was born in another country, since some more rural parts of undeveloped/developing countries don't reliably keep accurate records. Even today there are some international adoptees who don't know their real birthdays or ages, because the records from where they came from are too spotty.

• ?

In order to match the child to it's birth parents, the lab would need to have a record of the parents' DNA. Most people don't have a reason to submit samples.

Typically, a child is reunited with its birth parents by a collection of details: Date, time and location of birth.  A copy of the birth certificate, finding a sibling and comparing histories, etc.

• ?

Anything can be a reality if you're an author.