What does salt of the Earth mean?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

It is of biblical derivation (comes from a quote attributed to Jesus), and basically means that the person is inherently good and has no evil intent, lacks malice.

The idea is that salt has a basic essence (and is even discussed later in the quote as having a "flavor" of its own that is basic to being salt), so like salt, people are inherently good.  The entire comment is fairly purposeful in using salt as a good thing rather than a bad thing as it was often employed in metaphor or analogy (like salting water or land to make it unusable).

But the common phrase "salt of the earth" is so far removed from its historical biblical origin that people mostly don't even think about it when they say it.  They simply mean "he is a good person; no bad in him" when calling someone the "salt of the earth".

• bill
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Salt has ,since the beginning ,been revered as a special substance as it allowed man to preserve food when refrigeration didn't exist so it is something special as are people who are compared to this spice.  It means a good reliable person.

• RP
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Depending upon context, it can mean "fine" (applied to a person).

• 4 weeks ago

I do believe its a metaphor Donnie with a little religion thrown in for good measure. Salt as I'm sure you know has long been considered a valuable commodity. Need I say more Stanley? I THINK NOT. :-)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

"Good people, always kind to everybody."  It is a Biblical reference. The King James Bible of AD 1611, and Shakespeare's writing at a similar date, provide a lot of expressions we use in everyday English.

• 4 weeks ago

Salt is a Necessary Commodity for man to Live everyone need is Just Like the worlds needs the working Class

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Means you are an honest, dependable fellow. Comes from The Sermon on the Mount, in the Gospel According to Matthew and earth in this context is an earthen oven rather than the ground or the planet.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.