Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 month ago

Hearing loss from gun range?

I went to an indoor gun range yesterday and of course I wore ear plugs and ear muffs. It feels like I have muffled hearing in my one ear. Could I have caused damage to my ear or is it anxiety? I tend to suffer from hypochondria and extreme anxiety. Thanks! 

Do not believe anything daniel g mutters.

get your ears cleaned, the ear plugs shoved a wad of ear wax up in them...

You should have mentioned what you were shooting or what was the loudest firearm on the range.  Most hearing damage from from instant noise begins slowly at 115db and ramps up quickly.  Keep in mind if anything is increased by 3db the noise has DOUBLED.  A decrease of 3db and the noise has been CUT IN HALF.  

A 22 rifle is around 108db.  22 pistol 118db.  Earplugs - are only good to drop noise by 3db.  Maybe 5db if you have really expensive ones.  Crappy ear plugs and indoor pistol shooting dont mix.  Crappy ear plugs and indoor centerfire pistol shooting are harmful.

I am near deaf for all the gunfire. not so bad til the indoor pistol range and a jerk next to me poped a round, now bad loss and tinnitus in the right ear after 20 years.

Decent hearing protection, I doubt anything permanent, see if your hearing returns within a couple days.

• JOHN B

How long since you cleaned your ears? Plugs probably pushed wax into the canal. It happens to me when I use plugs. Now I clean about every 6mo.

• BBean

Looking at the situation from a scientific point I would say you may be a victim of not being able to cope with even the mildest rise in ambient pressure. Guns going off inside closed doors do create a temporary rise in pressure that can cause a similar effect of "airplane ear" or barotrauma or barotitis.

So no ear protection will be that effective. Stay out of indoor gun ranges especially when the weather gets cooler and rooms are sealed tighter. 

Hearing loss can be caused by many things. 

If your hearing protection was ineffective, cheap and/or improperly used, sure you could have some temporary hearing damage.   It is important to note that wearing muff and plugs together do not double the NRR protection.  At best they will add +3 db or less of protection to whichever is higher rated.  I recommend 30 db NRR or better for indoor ranges.

• Murzy

It is possible that you have some hearing damage but if you used quality ear plugs and muffs, it is unlikely.