Am I entitled to rent money back?

For nearly a year now I have been unable to open my bedroom windows at all, even during the stifling summer months. My partner on occasion had to sleep in the living room for ventilation as he would wake everyday having sweat through the bed covers, disturbing his sleep frequently. The kitchen window also does not open so we are constantly worried about setting off fire alarms while cooking and cannot air out any smoke. We have been in contact with our Landlord, we have had 3 or so people sent out during the last 8 months and still it's not fixed. What can we do and are we entitled to be reimbursed money we have paid for rent due to this? 

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Contact the local housing authority for advise.

By law, you are entitled to an egress from a bedroom. That alone pleads your case.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You would need to consult a lawyer...good luck.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No. You are not complaining ENOUGH FOR THEM TO DO SOMETHING.  GET on their ASSS  & Make noise. "Fix it,Fix it,Fix it,Fix it,Fix it,Fix it."  Go ape schit anal on them.

• 1 month ago

You may be--but it depends on your state (location). Some states allow for rent-withholding in order to get repairs done that have not been done at all--some, however, won't allow rent-withholding unless NOTHING has been done. You said three contractors have been to your unit in 8 months and it's still not repaired--but you don't say what the problems are. So it's really not possible to tell you if rent-withholding would be a feasible option. 

You're not going to be entitled to your entire rent, I can tell you that. But reimbursement for some of it?  Still, maybe. What you need to do is contact an attorney who understands landlord-tenant law in your area and ASK. It's apparent from your question that the landlord has actually TRIED to get the problem resolved, so only an attorney can tell you if there is further reparation you are entitled to. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • garry
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

no after all you could have complained or paid for the repair and be re-imbursed . you chose to live in it , so why didnt you complain , or even take you complaint to the tenants union ...

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

no.................................

• R P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You stayed there, so the unit is not uninhabitable. No, you are not entitled to any rent money back.

If your state's laws allow "repair & deduct," follow the law before having the windows repaired & deducting the cost from your rent.  However, if your state's laws do not address "repair and deduct," then you cannot do so unless the landlord agree.

• 1 month ago

You lived there, so you got what the rent was paying for.

• 1 month ago

If you have made written repair requests and  they're still not fixed then you will have to take your landlord to court for a breach of the lease.  Google "landlord tenant law" and your state's name for details.

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

A) turn on the air conditioner

or

B) Hire someone to fix it if the landlord won't.  It will probably be a few hundred dollars.  You can then try to get the landlord to allow you to withhold it from your rent.  But even if not, isn't it worth a couple hundred dollars to stop sweating at night and to not have to go through the hassle and expense of moving?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.