Achilles asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

How hard it is to learn a new language and how long does it take to become fluent in it?

Do some people sometimes claim to be fluent in a language but really aren't. Looking at it from a distance I feel like people don't get the real feeling of the language since they weren't raised in the culture or ethnic group of the language of the specific people. They say it like the are adding words together with an addition symbol in a way. Am I right or wrong? Or does it about practice and more practice and depends if you are willing to dive deeper in to the culture of the people to get a better feel of their language?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Indeed some people might feel that 'learning' a new language is almost a mathematical exercise, but they would soon understand that no language can be learned that way.

Only after somebody has had many conversations with a native speaker, and has read several sorts of texts, e.g. newspapers, magazines, novels, can that person claim true fluency.

Time needed for fluency? At least two years of conscientious study, with help from real people, not just online or from a book.

Time needed to be able to 'get by' in a foreign country could be as little as 6 weeks.

• 1 month ago

Compare a language to a jigsaw puzzle.You need all the words(pieces ) to get the whole picture.For languages it takes  10 years or a lifetime of daily usage to become very good.

Yet you can learn a lot in a short time.One good way is to read children's books with pictures.Also don't underestimate $10 little books for travelers .They have pictures and some grammar.You can learn the basics in a short time.

Expensive courses are vastly over rated.While helpful it really depends on the student.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

it heavily depends on how similar the language is to your native one. I've met germans who got pretty fluent in Dutch within a year of hard work. I've met people who were fluent in Esperanto after a few months, but then Esperanto was designed to be easy.

For the average Anglo, getting fluent in Arabic, Korean, Japanese or any type of Chinese is supposed to take

2200 hours of class, aka 88 weeks minimum.

Note that a famous Irish polyglot calls his website

"fluentin3months" . National/ethnic languages cannot be learned  faster than that

Source(s): Dutch/NL, fluent in German, English and Esperanto, semi-fluent in French
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It depends on people / their ability to learn a language and too, the motivation.

• 1 month ago

It depends a lot on the language.  For the easiest ones, language courses are 6-8 months of full time study.  For the more complex ones, courses are 2  years, or more, and even then complete fluency is not guaranteed. 

• 1 month ago

Of course. You can't become fluent without living 10 years 

in another country, and even then, you will never get the accent right. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.