Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 1 month ago

Is Ram actually a name?

So I was watching Heathers the other day and it has a character called Ram. Everyone calls him that including his father so I *assume* it’s his real name?

Last I checked a ram was a sheep. Why would anyone name their kid after an animal?

Is Ram actually a name? And as a standalone name or short for something? The only thing that springs to mind is Ramon/Ramone which are Mexican names and that dude was white. Your as likely to find a white dude with a Mexican name as you are a white girl called Keisha.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

No but Ramjet is actually a name.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Yes it is! I went to school with a boy named Ram. It’s an Indian name mostly used in Southern Asia. 

• Cousin
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Ram is short for Ramsey and Ramses but Ram Dass just went by Ram.

• garry
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

if your a male goat its alright ..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Ram can be a name on it's own or a nickname based on actual name (Ramon, Ramone, Raymond, Ramona) or perhaps personality (stubbornness perhaps). There are plenty of "white" men with "Mexican" names... have you heard of the country of Spain? I also know of at least a couple white girls called Keisha. Anyway, cultural misinformation aside, there are other animal names that people use as names: Bear, Wolf, Fox, Otter, Wren, Robin, Birdie, etc. 

• 1 month ago

Sometimes people's last names can be the source of nicknames.  Couldn't Ramirez be shortened to Ram as a nickname? 

• Snid
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I always assumed it was a nickname.  I wouldn't use it on a real person.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It can be a name if you want it to be.  Just look at all the weird names you see proposed on this site!  A ram is a male sheep.

Some countries have a list of approved names. If you want to use a name not in the list you need to get approval by a court, and that approval might not be given.

The UK does not have that sort of list, and I assume that the USA also does not have that sort of list.

Anon has reminded me that it is an Indian name. Asian Indian.

• 1 month ago

Ramon is a Spanish name. Not only are Spanish people white but names don't have races so anyone call have a Spanish name 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

There are lots of names that are short for the real names that sound like animals

Like Cat- Catherine

Like Barry- Bartholomew

Like Barney- Bernard

Like Sam- Samantha

I know the last three aren't animals I'm just giving random examples!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.