macie asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 month ago

What can I bring cosmetics or personal stuff on a flight that’s Over 100ml? ?

So I have a flight this Sunday, and I’ve been reading on the airline website that u can bring liquid no more than 100ml, I’m flying with Thai airways. I’m not sure if they meant drinks or not. I really want to bring my cetaphil moisturiser which is like 236ml I honestly can’t live without it since I have dry skin, and since I will be in quarantine for 14 days I won’t get to go outside to buy moisturiser or other important stuff that’s over 100ml. So I’m not sure if the website meant 100ml liquid as in drink or liquid as in cosmetic/personal use stuff. I haven’t fly in ages so anyone who has an advice about travelling I would be thankful for ur advices. Thank you (sorry if the question sounds abit stupid) 

From what airport are you departing from? I'd like to assume the U.S., but many countries do follow U.S. restrictions.

Cosmetics that is a solid or a powder do not have to adhere to the restriction, only liquids, gels (creams), or aerosols. As such any items above the 100 ml limit can be safely stowed in your checked baggage.

Info you may find useful:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel

Source(s): Work part-time as a TSA officer.

In your CHECKED Luggage you may have as much as you want. Place each bottle in a plastic bag for just in case it opens during the flight.

In your carry on bag you can have multiple 100ml bottles of the same liquid. The limit is what fits in a one litre bag . It is not a complicated rule and has been in place for over a DECADE.

Enjoy your time away and stress out over something more important than your large bottle of lotion.

NOTICE this limit is enforced at the Security check point. After the check point you can purchase liquid items that are allowed on board. HINT Already screened by security.

If necessary purchase empty 100ml bottles (in the travel size section) for your must have lotion.

You cannot Bring any Liquids over 100ml except water Purchased after you have Gone through Security some airlines wont allow that because water is available on the Aircraft

best to comply with 100 ml

• Jay P

Those restrictions apply to your carry-on luggage.  Put it in your checked luggage if you want to bring more.

Here’s a no-nonsense guide to what liquids you can carry in your hand luggage when flying to and from UK airports

Picture the scene. With the steely precision of a NASA scientist you’ve cut your capsule wardrobe down to minimum requirements, folded and rolled your lightest essentials, downloaded your boarding card – and actually made it to the airport the recommended two hours early… then you arrive at security.

Nobody will stop you taking as much moisturiser as you can fit into 100 ml bottles. Sounds as if you'll need three, not completely filled.

You can bring as many 100 ml bottles of any kinds of liquids or creams as will fit into a one-litre clear, re-sealable plastic bag.

But if  you are checking a bag into the hold too - ie, not just carry-on baggage - you can pack any quantity of liquids or creams in that bag. Just be careful to wrap them carefully as they could leak.

It means all liquids, any kind of liquid, cream or gel, even including water, with some exemptions for items like hand sanitizer(12 ounces now allowed) baby formula or medications. If you want to bring a drink onto the plane, even a bottle of water, then you have to buy it or fill your water bottle after you pass the security checkpoint. Large airports have places to buy things after the checkpoint.

If you want to bring more than 100 ml of your moisturizer, then get two 100 ml containers and put it in those, or find the same stuff already in a travel size. Most drugstores and most dollar stores sell such containers. You can bring as many 100ml containers (or smaller) as you can fit into your one-quart (that's a medium size bag in the Ziploc brand) closable bag as long as you can close the bag, and the 12 oz of hand sanitizer does not need to go in the bag. It can be any kind of container. I put some of my stuff in tiny little jars or bottles, even those mini-bottles that used to contain vodka or rum. TSA doesn't care what the container is, only that it can't hold more than 100 ml.

Those rules only apply to carry-on luggage. If you are taking checked luggage, then the only restrictions (aside from those on dangerous liquids like lighter fluid) on the total amount and container size of liquids come from your airline which will have that info on its website. They're usually pretty generous, like you can't put more than a gallon of liquid in checked luggage. Your 236 ml would be no problem at all in checked luggage.

The TSA website has all the details of what you can and can't take on a plane and which type of luggage it can be taken in.

The only liquids and gels over 100ml allowed are medications.  And this is done on a case by case basis.  

They mean all liquids, including cosmetics. So you won't be able to bring your moisturiser, unless you put it in a container for 100ml or less. 

• MS

They mean any type of liquid/gel - that includes makeup, lotions, creams, shampoos, etc., as well as drinks and snacks (Jello, yogurt).  The container size cannot exceed 100ml.  These rules apply only to your carry-on bag, so if you plan to take any checked luggage then you can have full-size liquid/gel items in there; there is no limit to size or quantity in your checked/hold luggage. But if you are only taking a carry-on bag, then you'll need to put your moisturizer into smaller containers to take it.  Also, you can only take as many bottles of 100ml liquid/gel items as you can fit into a 1qt clear Ziploc baggie.