This might be a long shot, but does anyone know the ideal RPMs for a 2003 Ford Taurus SES at idle or at like 60 MPH? Thanks!?

When I start my Taurus, it will rev up at about 2,400-2,500 RPMs, then go down to 1,500, then to about 1,200. When stationary, it typically sits at 1,000. When I go 60 MPH, it'll be at around 2,200 RPMs. I've been told that it revs up higher than normal on startup and in general. I know this is long winded and confusing, but I'd appreciate any responses. Is this normal, or a bit high? Thank you :)

Your warm idle speed should be between 800-1000 rpm's.  It will run higher when cold due to the choke.

That is about right.

Souds like "out of the time of the throttle", is going high, when it should not be, well, check everything out: is 2003, then warm up is there, start with spark plugs, then injectors, then tires, the size change can make work a little more your engine, change fuses, cables, renew the whole thing in the way you will have barely a new Ford Taurus again, and will last for another 17 years like she have already

Source(s): Restoring cars......

RPM at 60 MPH should be just over 2100 RPM. It's possible to guesstimate over/under 100 RPM if you're looking at the tach.  If you have the stock 215/60/R16 tires. 4th gear has a 0.69 ratio and the axle ratio is 3.99 or 3.96. 

When you start the car initially it will probably rev up to a bit over 2000 RPM, but it should come down quickly. When the engine is cold it'll probably idle around 1500 RPM for about 30 seconds, then go down over the next minute or two. When it's warmed up it should be idling around 750-900 RPM. 

• ?

At startup it will rev higher to help it quickly warm up. At idle when warm it should read around 950 RPMs which is close to your idle. First step is getting a scan tool on this vehicle and seeing what the codes are. Odds are it will be lean codes or idle speed codes.

If they are idle codes then its likely to be a faulty idle air control valve on the throttle body.

If its lean codes then it's likely to be a vacuum hose or PCV hose or intake gasket leak.

Another check is to make sure the throttle plate or linkage is not binding and holding the throttle open a small percentage

Both of which can cause high idle, auto zone will and can pull codes for free. 

Willing to bet there's nothing wrong with the car.  Tauruses of that generation did tend to initially rev higher than most cars when started cold, by design.  If you find a similar age Taurus and cold start it I assure you it will do the same thing.  It also will idle around 1000-1200 rpm once warm too IF the car is in P or N.  RPM will drop once in D.  As for 2200RPM @ 60mph, that's due entirely to gearing. 

If it's a problem get the throttle body cleaned and have the mechanic check the idle air control motor and the PCM to see what idle speed it's commanding the IAC motor to be at. Vacuum leaks can effect the idle speed. The mechanic can also erase the learned idle speed and the PCM will relearn it as you drive. 2500 rpms seems a bit high.