If you watched both versions of The Office, which one did you like better?

The original British version, which was only two seasons long.

Or the American remake, which was nine seasons long.

I watched both and like the American version better.  the British one wasn't bad. I just had more laughs with the remake.  

I prefer the UK version.

The American one was indisputably better.  I'm not saying I disliked the UK version, but after a slow start where the American one largely just repeated the UK version for several episodes, they started charting their own course and began executing Ricky G's formula better than he ever did.  

The Tim-Dawn-Gareth triangle was weaker than the Jim-Pam-Dwight replacement.  Michael Scott, as cringe-worthy and unfunny as I found him, was better than David Brent because Michael had more sympathetic heart and naivete to him that allowed you to sort of forgive his brutish behavior.  Whereas David wasn't just misbehaving, but it was harder to see him as not understanding his loutishness.  Michael honestly cared about his employees...I don't feel like we ever saw David actually caring.  Both cared about being LIKED, but when push came to shove, Michael did care, and David didn't.  And so everyone putting up with him sort of became okay from a comedy perspective because of it.

• Jess C

They're both good. I prefer the American version although I do love Ricky Gervais.

• snafu

I’ve seen bits of the American office and thought the tone was completely different.  The British original was best.  The two series and the extended Christmas special that rounded it off was a lesson on how to do it right.  A perfectly conceived and executed piece of work that spawned other ‘Offices’ around the world.

• hamel5

They were both good.   The American version probably lasted  a couple of seasons too long.  Still, the longer run required more character development and plot complications.  The American show had Steve Carell who is a better actor than Ricky Gervais, who's more of a comedian.