California- If I am a Military Veteran with Military ID, Can I purchase an off roster hand gun in the state of California?

I am a Military Veteran with Military ID. Can I purchase an off Roster hand gun?  

Also I have a step daughter that is stationed in Oklahoma if she were to own a firearm that is not legal in the state of CA but she wants to gift it to me. Is that legal to do of course having an FFL dealer be the middle man?

IN California, not even the military as an organization can purchase guns not permitted in California. They have to purchase them elsewhere and move them into the state.

Based on your account history, I don't believe you were ever in the military.

• Daniel

The only exemptions for buying off roster guns from a dealer are for law enforcement.

You can buy an off roster gun through a private party transfer, but both buying and seller have to be CA residents and you have to go through a dealer for the transaction.  If you daughter is a CA resident, she could transfer it to you, but she would have to come to CA with it to do it through an FFL.

The exemption for intrafamiliar transactions not having to involve an FFL doesn't pertain to step kids.  

Source(s): Google is your friend

Your current or former military status has nothing to do with the issue.

If a firearm is not legal in CA, a FF License holder will not transfer the weapon to you or even send the weapon to CA. For you to attempt the transfer may involve some sort of criminal act on your part. Better look into the situation more than asking questions on the internet.

being in the military gives you no special rights when it comes to firearms.

if a firearm is not legal in cali, then no Cali, FFL dealer would accept the shipment

• Mrsjvb

Only if you meet state and federal law for ownership.  Being military past or present has nothing to do with it.

• Bill-M

You being a Vet with ID card has no bearing on Calif Gun laws.