Why are some people avoiding other brands of disinfectants?

Just wondering as I saw a lady needing wipes and asking those around if it okay to use store brand as she wanted Clorox. Store brand is on the EPA list and they had a bunch of them too. Is it because of the Clorox and Lysol hype? Hospitals and medical clinics have used other brands. 

Favorite Answer

Clorox and Lysol wipes were immediately mentioned as the best wipes to kill the coronavirus. Not every store has good alternatives to either Clorox or Lysol wipes, which are a notch above generic brands. Just because a brand says it also kills 99.9% of germs doesn't mean it's as good. This is also true of disinfectant cleansers and sprays. 

Quality is also important. Clorox wipes are wetter than most other ones, and they are also strong cloth. I've been using them for years to wipe down groceries, cell phones, and my computers. 

Since this whole pandemic mess hit, quality wipes like Clorox and Lysol don't last very long on shelves. But, for good reason: people trust the brands. Sadly, the pandemic has also ushered in poor generic brands at most stores. As long as people see the "Kills 99.9% of germs," that's all that matters. But, I don't trust wipes from dollar stores, even some on shelves at the bigger nation-wide stores. That's why I shop when stores open and get what I want. 

Look at what happened to hand sanitizers. When the pandemic hit, everyone was making hand sanitizers, mainly because Purell was being sold primarily to the medical community. There are many brands as good or better than Purell, but that's a name you can bank on. Still, companies all over the world were churning them out by the gallons, until the FDA started testing them, and finding out many of them were using toxic chemicals--the majority made in Mexico. To add insult to injury, most of these manufacturers switched production from Mexico to...you got it...China. What a coinkydink. 

Not all store brands are created equal.  Some stores have much better brands than others.  Hospitals, medical clinics and businesses use industrial products not available to the consumer.  Of course my mom is the same way, she wants Clorox because that's what she's always used, anything else is unacceptable and you'll never change her mind.

That's why products are advertised.  People believe in name brands.  You can show them identical ingredients and they will still say the name brand is better. 

Because people are lazy thinkers.  While Lysol wipes are in short supply, I told someone that concentrated lysol is still very easy (and cheaper) to find.  She told me she will only use the wipes.  Before wipes ever existed there was concentrated Lysol, which is literally the same thing.  

People are sheep. They follow advertisements and don't know any better. I never buy name brand groceries if I can get the same thing in store brand.