Billy asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Do abusers ?

I was told sometimes those kids who end up being abused or neglected end up with serious mental health issues 

Can they become an abuser and end up being terrible people 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Humans learn which behaviors will most likely ensure our survival by imitating the examples we observe. Without intentionally adjusting their first impression, it is instinctive to imitate our role models. Victims of child abuse can choose not to become abusers.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

People who were abused as children are more likely to be abused as an adult. 

More than half (51%) of adults who were abused as children experienced domestic abuse in later life.

Domestic abuse includes sexual assault, non-sexual abuse and stalking by a partner or family member. The CSEW defines domestic abuse as occurring after the age of 16.

Child abuse includes psychological and physical abuse, sexual assault, and witnessing domestic abuse. A child is defined by the CSEW as a person under the age of 16.

Around one in five adults aged 16 to 59 (an estimated 6.2 million people) had experienced some form of abuse as a child. 

But the impact of what is often a hidden crime does not always end there. A higher proportion of survivors of child abuse went on to experience domestic abuse in adulthood, compared with those who suffered no childhood abuse.

Survivors of multiple types of child abuse more likely to experience domestic abuse in later life. Those who survived more than one type of child abuse were more likely to experience domestic abuse as an adult than those who survived fewer types of child abuse, the analysis found.

Survivors of all four types of child abuse were the most likely to suffer domestic abuse; 77% had experienced domestic abuse after the age of 16, compared with 40%3 who experienced one type of abuse as a child.

More than a third of those abused by a family member as a child were abused by a partner in adulthood

More than one in three (36%) of those who experienced abuse by a family member as a child were abused by a partner as an adult. The data also show that adults who witnessed domestic abuse as a child in their home were more likely to experience abuse by a partner as an adult (34% compared with 11% who did not witness domestic abuse).

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Neglect is by far the most common type of child maltreatment. Unlike physical or sexual abuse, where something is actually done, neglect is failure to do something. 

Neglect also happens in the suburbs, and in more subtle forms. Food and clothing may be provided, but the parent might be emotionally absent. Parents may show little interest in their children. Mothers or fathers may have been so emotionally immature that children must care for their parents, rather than the other way around. Parents can also be so uninvolved that they fail to notice when something really serious occurs in their children’s lives. 

Two women who were raised in middle-class homes with neglectful mothers were both raped as teens by people from their schools. Neither of their families noticed the abrupt change in their behaviors that occurred as a result of being raped. They never asked what was going on, or why their daughters were acting so strangely.

Depression in mothers and fathers is also related to neglect. Depression influences a mother’s ability to interact with her children. One interaction style is “avoidant.” Avoidant mothers disengage from their children, and ignore them much of the time. The other style, “angry-intrusive,” is a risk factor for physical abuse (I’ll discuss this in a minute). 

Emotional Abuse

“Words can hit as hard as a fist.” For many people, emotional abuse is the worst type of maltreatment. Emotional and verbal abuse can also take a variety of forms. It can include name calling and saying hateful things. It can include constant comparisons between siblings, or calling a child “stupid,” or “fat” or “ugly” or “a loser.” It can be mocking or holding a child up to shame, embarrassing him or her in front of his or her friends or even strangers. It can also include abandonment or threat of abandonment.

Especially for young children, having a parent threaten to leave them some place, like a bus station, can be highly traumatizing. If you have had this experience, it can be the source of many of the negative internal messages that replay in your mind.

Emotional and verbal abuse often accompanies other forms of family violence and child maltreatment. Some adult survivors recount how their mothers or fathers made them feel responsible for the abuse that was inflicted upon them. 

These children often end up in abusive relationships as adults. As happened in childhood, these abusers may also blame their victims for the abuse. “If you would just keep the house clean, I wouldn’t have to do this.” Women in currently abusive relationships may have internalized these messages to such an extent, that they stay since “no one else would want them.” Especially devastating is when girls are told that they are responsible for “seducing” someone who sexually abuses them.

• LAN
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Why do you keep spamming the same kind of pity me idiocy over and over.   You obviously have zero interest in doing anything to actually work on your problems since you don't see a professional and just keep begging for attention here over and over.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I was raped from 6 years old to 20 years old off and on my relatives, and I only have depression, and I am still a loving person, willing to help anyone who needs help! Why take it out on those who didn't hurt you! But Some people it can I guess it go to each their own!

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It's very common.  Last week the journal of Joe Biden's daughter was released and she revealed that Biden forced her to shower with him for years.  She is now in intensive therapy to try to overcome this abuse.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.