I find it very hard to contain my emotions,. Is there a secret method one uses stop their emotions from manifesting, when on the verge?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

A simple physical trick is to breathe OUT as deeply and often as you can. When you breathe in, breathe shallowly, and immediately breathe OUT again, deeply.

I've used this at many funerals when the tears were about to become overwhelming. I have no idea how it works, but can vouch for the fact that it DOES.

• 4 weeks ago

I admit, I have a bad habit of letting my emotions get to me and getting upset over things I can't control, but what I do to try to fix that is I talk to a therapist over the phone and I journal and it helps. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I suggest taking a few deep breaths or taking your emotions out by screaming into a pillow when no one is around. Counting to 10 might also help, or repeat the times table. That's what I do-

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Why would you bother anyway? What would you be proving to yourself?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

You might look into NLP - Neuro Linguistic Programming

• Tina
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes. Live a few years more. Nothing will seem so important then.

• j153e
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Count-to-ten.

Breathe more deeply, then slowly.

Excuse yourself and take a brief walk.

Related:

Understanding Yourself, by Mark Prophet.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

When I was younger and didn't want to repeat my parents' toxic behavior, I would count backwards from 10-1 every time I angered. It sounds ridiculously simple and stereotypical, but it helps, or it did for me at least. Today controlling my emotions is second nature. It doesn't meant that I don't feel anything, but I have a better grip on them so that I don't say or do anything that I'll later regret.

Also, meditate daily, find that inner balance so that you're not so easily rattled.

• 1 month ago

I try to not let myself become overly upset about things that are beyond my control. By starting at that point, I don't work myself up into an angry or frustrated state. 

Some of my coworkers, for instance, get upset about how others work or how others behave, even though that work or behavior does not affect them. I focus on the only things I can control - myself and my own work and behavior. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.