Is Germanic easier to learn than Chinese?

Okay, first of all, I am Dutch, I speak a Germanic language. Germanic can be considered English, Dutch and German, which are are closely tied together.

When I take a look at both types of languages, then I wonder, which of them would be harder to learn from an 'alien' point of view, who never heard both languages before.

For me, as a westerner I would always say "Chinese is much more difficult", but I don't want to think that way. I try to be neutral, and think like. How both languages actually work.

In Germanic we use letters, that form words and those words form sentences/lines which state a situation, a fact, an expression etc.

In Chinese, in which I am sadly enough not fully aware how this works, but the general idea I have is that Chinese symbols can be seen as part of words but also an entire meaning. The symbols have a sort of a visual reference to what they mean (to my understanding).

In Germanic every letter in the alphabet has it's own sound and you have to combine several of this 'symbols' (letters are also symbols in their way) to form words.

In Chinese I guess every symbol has also it's own sound, and like I said they form parts of words, but also entire meanings or situations.

I am mind boggled, just because my lack of Chinese knowledge, but I am just curious which language would be more difficult to learn for a hypothetical alien who does not know both of them?

Update: Nobody so far has given a proper decent answer without being biased towards either of the languages of countries which they are spoken in. The question still remains, and let me just make it simpler: An 'alien' which never heard either "Mandarin" spoken in China, or "English" spoken in England, just those two.

Chines has 80000 plus character in their language. It is not easy to learn it.

O.K. guy Germanic is an adjective describing languages like Dutch,English,Danish,Norwegian,Swedish and a few others.

German is the name of the language spoken in Germany and Austria and part of Switzerland..Of course it is very different from Chinese.

Apart from writing, Chinese grammar is quite simple.

I would say not, as a native English speaker and former translator from German.  Chinese has a very small vocabulary of fixed words and hardly inflects at all.  Germanic languages tend to be fusional, like most Indo-European languages.

Germans are nazi   1945. these are evil people the US fought in world war 2.  

The US has no choice but nuke japan + carpet bomb the germans in world war 2.

I think so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Many Germanic languages can be learned in 8 months to a year - or less, if you have familiarity with them.  Chinese takes at least 2 years of full time training at a school, and even then, people are not completely fluent.

• Zirp

English, Scots, Frisian, Dutch, Flemish and German are westgermanic. Danish, Swedish, Norwegian and Icelandic are northgermanic.

Chinese is a whole family of languages (Chinese government calls them "dialects" for political reasons, but they are not mutually intelligible when spoken).

Ideograms are used to enable all chinese to read the same books and newspapers. Every single ideogram has different sounds in different types of Chinese.

For an alien, Esperanto would be the easiest.

As for Germanic vs Sinitic.. if the alien is tonedeaf, Sinitic would be impossible

Funny because nearly all Chinese people (that lives in China) speak MANDARIN.

• Rick

much easier, yes, especially for you ..........................