Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 4 weeks ago

is connie a nickname or can it be a full name?

this is so random i know but basically i have a friend with this name and she's only 24. i thought it was just connie but then i heard connie is usually a nickname/short form for constance but i don't believe for a minute her full name is constance. can connie ever be a name on its own? it does kinda sound like a nickname and everyone says it's probably a nickname. but I'm not gonna ask her cos i don't wanna offend her cos i mean wtf would admit to really being called constance

could her name be just connie? or is it always constance?

Connie can be and is often a full name.

Connie is a full name as it stands. It doesn't have to be a shortened version of another name.

• Snid

It can be whatever you want it to be.  It is most common as a nickname for Constance.

Obviously it could be either . I thought most people knew this.

...just ask her? It wont offend her, seriously, who would be offended by someone asking "is Connie short for something, or is it your full name?" 

Its not a big deal.

Of course you can just be called Connie on your own, but we cant tell you what your friend is named, and just because Connie CAN be on its own doesn't mean that she IS just Connie. Neither your or I can decide what her full name actually is.

Seriously, just ask your friend.

This question is so weird cos I'm a Connie, mid 20s and just a Connie it is definitely not short for Constance haha! My parents actually named me Connie. That's my full name. So i can confirm it can be a name on its own and is probably your friend's full name as well :) xx

• Cathy

It could be short for Constance or just Connie. There are Cathys who are not Catherines, Carries who are not Carolyns or Carolines, Jennys who aren't Jennifers. Parents can name their children whatever they choose. 

I don't see how asking her about it would be offensive.

quit laughing at your buddy Connie's name. what's yours anyway, notice you didn't say 

Ask her to show you her birth certificate. Then you'll know whether she's really called it or not

Don't you dare laugh at her but she probably is called Constance. Connie is definitely a nickname never a full name. It's way better than Constance though! No wonder she goes by Connie, poor girl is probably ashamed of her full name. Can't really blame her tbh!