Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

Didn't the Roman Empire fall because it hired mercenaries who turned against it but now we're hiring Al Qaeda and Taliban to fight each ?

other? How'd we get this stupid?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • ron h
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

How'd we get stupid enough to elect a president who's at war with us?  The current occupant of our White House has been waging psychological warfare against us for 5 years.  He's created a cult that will not vanish when he's dead and buried. 

• 1 month ago

A fighter of Libyan forces allied with the UN-backed government walks past a ruined house captured from Islamic State militants in Cambo area in Sirte, Libya, on 17 October 2016. REUTERS/Ismail Zitouny

REPORT 178 / MIDDLE EAST & NORTH AFRICA 24 JULY 2017

How the Islamic State Rose, Fell and Could Rise Again in the Maghreb

Despite its ongoing demise in Iraq and Syria, the Islamic State (ISIS) could prove resurgent in the Maghreb if past lessons and lingering threats remain unheeded. Algeria, Libya, Morocco and Tunisia should go beyond security and military measures to address persistent local grievances and tensions that ISIS has proven adept in exploiting.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I think you meant how did I get this stupid

• JOHN B
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

You speak eloquently of someone only you know.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Your analogy is spurious. Rome hired german mercs to defend its borders.  The US govt. is NOT hiring our enemies to defend the Canadian and Mexican borders like Rome did, and down with the dingbat, all the way down. 

Attachment image
  • 1 month ago

I suggest you read Edward Gibbon's book The Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Those that do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Of course if you make up your own history it is bound to be false.

Go back to the textbooks.

• I think you meant how did I get this stupid

• Lomax
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

The Roman Empire fell for a number of complex reasons, but recruiting foreigners into the Legions wasn't one of them.

Indeed, if the Romans hadn't done so, their empire would've fallen a lot sooner.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The thing that the Arabs are most famous for is pretending to fight each other in internecine fashion to fool you. Historically their Biggest Confidence Trick. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.