Does the university you go to help increase the chances of admission into medical school?

By this I mean specifically if going to a school like University of Toronto with an acceptance rate of 40% increase your chances rather than my hometown’s public university with an acceptance rate of 78%. As a follow up question, what benefits do schools that are more difficult to be accepted into give you?

• MS
    Favorite Answer

It helps some, but it's not a huge part of the equation.  Students from all levels of colleges and universities get accepted to medical school.  What you do while in school and how you score on your MCAT are more important than where you go to school.  

High profile universities do often offer a higher-level education in some ways.  They attract the top faculty in their fields, so students are learning from the best.  They are usually pretty demanding, so you work hard.  They often have creative curricula, so you are enriched in different ways.  For employers, having a high profile school on your resume or CV can certainly help.

I presumed they went primarily on your tests. The MCAT or MSAR or whatever they are called.